2001 civic shakes/hesitates at low speed, idling

Have a 2001 civic with 73,000 miles, as of late at low speeds and at times while idling at lights, the RPM gauge will go down close to 0, the car will shake (quite a
bit), feel like it is going to stall, but not stall. If you step on the gas it doesn't accelerate much at all, then after 10-15 seconds it suddenly goes back to normal and accelerates. (this never happens on the highway, only while idling or at low speeds)
Have had the following done thus far: - changed spark plugs - fuel system flushed - fuel injectors cleaned - timing belt and water pump changed
No one (local garage and the dealer), seems to have a clue as to what the cause it, appreciate any suggestions....
I bet your timing is off...it happend to me.