2001 CR-V check Light

Hi, I am at work and didn't have a chance to pull my manual so I don't know what type light this is that came on while driving to work. It is a yellow light with an oblong circle that has a fan to the left and I
believe on top. Inside the circle it says check.
Any ideas which light that is? Also what may be wrong and how to get it fixed?
Thanks!
ans3072 wrote:

---------------------------------------
That's the CHECK ENGINE light, and unless you left your gas cap loose, you may want to swing by a place that will read (and write down) the CODE that's been set. Tell us the number.
Some parts suppliers will do it for free. PartSource in Canada, apparently.
'Curly'
Princess auto has a code reader here in winnipeg for $54.99. OBDII and shuts the light off when finished.
'Curly Q. Links' wrote:

Hi, I went by the auto parts store (Auto Zone) and they read it for me for free. The diagnosis was something they didn't understand. It read:
P1456 Manufacturer Contrl Auxiliary emission Controls
Any idea what needs to be done?
Thanks!

That description is hopelessly vague. Here's Honda's offical description: Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Control System Leakage (Fuel Tank System)
The relevant EPA mandated EVAP code is P0456, which means a leak greater than 0.04" has been detected around the fuel tank. Since your code is a Honda "enhanced" code, I suspect your leak is even smaller than that.
The official "loose gas cap" code is P0457. However, it can't hurt to try tightening yours as a first step. Tighten it at *least* SIX clicks, then wait a few days of driving. If the light goes off, you're fine.
If tightening the cap doesn't help, you've got a teeny, tiny leak at one of the EVAP connections at the fuel tank. Find a garage with a "smoke machine".
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Way cool! What make? And does it see Honda enhanced codes?
Know the part number? Got a URL?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:04:35 +0000 (UTC), TeGGeR wrote:

I know they cost more, but my plan is to get the Scan Gauge II. Not only will it give you all the codes, but it also provides info (like MPG and ax speeds and RPM's, etc) that my car won't give me.
I think I'll buy myself one for Christmas... ;-)
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com

[snipped]
What is the number range, or format, for the enhanced codes?

"Enhanced" codes start with something other than zero, such as P1456.
EPA-mandated codes always start with zero, as in P0456.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

My Innova 3100 code scanner has 47 Honda specific codes as well as the generic OBD II codes. The unit came from Wal-Mart at just under $100.00.
It means something is wrong with the engine, usually in the pollution control system, but doesnt mean stop driving right this minute like a red oil pressure too low light.
I my state you cant pass the emissions test and license stickers if this light is on. Nor can you transfer title, except to salvage.
When my 2004 civic had the light at 30K, the dealer said drive it for three or four "cycles" in case it was a temporary problem like a loose gas cap. They said they'd charge an hour labor just to track it down. But since it was still under warranty they did the diagnosies and injector sensor replacement free.
A 1990 civic had had an oxygen sensor failure at 200K and the replacing cost $300. (My threshhold for dumping the car was more than $1000 or work per year.)
People advide trying to get a cheap code readout from a parts shop to save the diagnosis cost, especially if its something simple like a leaky gas cap. The parts shop may not know what all the codes mean. Someone told me a 2004 civic has 285 codes now.

[snipped]
Just today had the same code (P01456) on my 2002 CR-V and it was indeed a loose gas cap. Used my own code scanner. Bought one after AutoZone read the code on my Windstar van but would not turn off the light. Cost a little less than $100 (USD) and has paid for itself in trips saved to the dealer.