2001 CR-V Electrical Problem

The other day the car started fine, we drove about 20 minutes, and then electrical devices started failing: first the speedometer, then the air conditioner fan, the windows were slow, and after another 15 minutes the car died (while driving on the highway) and the battery was too low to start. There had been no previous problems.

The dealership is telling me we need a new battery, but there's no problem with the electrical system or alternator. Is this possible?

thanks in advance,

-paul

Reply to
Paul Slocum

If your battery is bad it may not take a charge and will not be able to deliver current to run the car's devices. If they've tested the charging (alternator) and it was found good, I'd follow their advice. Get one at autozone and call it a day.

Don't run around like this: running with a bad battery can actually do damage to electrical systems in your car.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

-----------------------------------

You didn't mention the alternator drive belt. They must have replaced it, since that's the symptoms you've described. A new battery on an '01 is probably justified too.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Ah, good point, I wish I'd thought of that and checked/marked the belt. Thanks for your help, guys.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Slocum

I am confused as I was under the impression that they'd checked the charging system of your car. The alternator and belt would include that.

If they have not, check the voltage across the battery with the engine running - it should be 14.5V or so. If you see less, check the belt and connections to the alternator. It could still be your alternator.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

The car is under warranty so they could have fixed the alternator belt (which they would have had to anyway) without saying anything about it and told us we needed a battery just to sell us something. Anyway, it's done and the car's working fine.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Slocum