2001 Honda Accord Recent Excessive Oil Consumption

2001 Honda Accord sedan, 4 cyl, 5-spd, 257,000 km (162,000 mi.)

Used to consume about .5 l (.5 qt) between oil changes. About 7 months ago, this consumption increased signficantly so that I am now adding a litre (1 qt) every 800 km (500 mi) or so (the level on the dipstick drops to about

1/8" below the bottom mark and then seems to stop there). There has never been any sign of oil leakage under the vehicle and there is no visible sign of 'smoke' out of the tailpipe. Any idea what might be causing this accelerated consumption of engine oil?

I have also recently had to replace my catalytic converter (media broke down inside the 'can' and started to rattle around ('check engine' light now on about 80% of the time).

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Reply to
ballstoyourpartner

Cat might have gone just on age, but if you're burning oil that doesn't help either. How's your gas mileage, acceleration? No extra noise from the engine?

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Gas mileage may have slipped just a bit but that could just be because of the 'check engine' code due to the failed catalytic converter (been trying to replace it but those old nuts are a b_tch to get off). No noticeable change in acceleration/performance and no new/unusual noise from the engine. "Its a mystery". What are the chances it could be due to a wonky PCV?

Reply to
ballstoyourpartner

I dunno, need one of the more informed posters here. Do we even still have PCVs? Of course getting that code read would be a start.

J.

Reply to
JRStern