2001 Honda Odessy - Gas pedel sticky

Very common. The throttle body needs cleaned. You can do it yourself; just make sure to use throttle body cleaner, not anything else.

And after, when you start the car, you'll need to keep on the throttle as the residue from the cleaner gets pulled into the intake and into the engine.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp3.usenetserver.com:

And check the PCV system.

The throttle plate gets sticky because the throttle body is full of oil. And it's full of oil because nobody changed the engine oil.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Not necessarily true, though.

I had an Accord that got sticky at 24K miles, with all the oil changes. My father's 98 Odyssey, same engine, got sticky at 50K miles and 6 years despite 3K mile oil changes.

It seems to be something with Hondas.

But then, my 92 Civic--again, 3K mile oil changes--never had the problem, not even after 120K miles.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My '93 Accord experienced it a bit last winter, but only in the serious deep freezes when taking off after the car was not used for hours. Mechanic cleaned the throttle and all was well. And I change my oil every 6 months or 5000km, whichever comes first.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

My old turbo Volvo has had big-time problems with throttle body and IAC valve deposits. I believe it is because the vapors that are sucked out of the crankcase into the turbo inlet are so dirty. I have to drain oil out of the intercooler every year or so, and apparently that is normal for those models.

Mike F, the maximum guru in alt.autos.volvo, says using synthetic oil ends the deposits. I imagine the oil mist still gets through but isn't as gunky (technical term). Anyway, I've been using synthetic for 1-2 years and haven't had to clean either part yet... a new record! More time will tell, because I don't want to take it apart if there are no symptoms. But maybe I should pull off the inlet duct and take a peek.

Lazy Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

All,

I have a Honda odessey and the gas pedal feels very sticky. Anything anybody can suggest to fix this problem? Has anybody encountered this problem?

Reply to
BCH

If they haven't done the EGR TSB you might want to try to get that done. Sticking throttle plate is a common problem with Odyssey's of that vintage. It has nothing to do with oil changes. All Ody owners should visit the forum at

for more information than you would ever want.....

Reply to
Woody

"Woody" wrote in news:peL7f.3481$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I just registered with

so I could see what you're referring to.

After perusing the Forums, it appears the problem can be due BOTH to a sticky throttle cable AND a gummed-up throttle body. You can have either the one or the other, or both at the same time.

However, I did not know about the sticky throttle cable, so thanks for that link.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

All,

Thanks to all that replied. Believe it or not I am bringing the car back to Honda today for the third time within the last 20 days to fix this. They cannot get it right, and have actually made it worse. Strangely enough I have always used Mobile One full Sync. Well, hopefully they will get it right today. Thanks again.

Reply to
BCH

Woody. Thanks for the information. And interestingly enough they did change the EGR.

Reply to
BCH