2001 Honda Prelude automatic fails to start

Had the same problem with my 01 5spd. The ignition switch was bad.

Reply to
TWW

Whenever I turn the key all the dash lights come on as normal. Honda replaced battery already in an attempt to fix this problem. Car has 40K miles. It does not turn the engine over at all; not even click. If I wiggle the gear shifter several times it will start with no problem. This has started happening at least 3 or 4 times a week. Please HELP!!

Reply to
Brad

If I understand you right, it sounds like the "neutral safety switch" is out of adjustment. Another check you can do is to try starting in neutral, holding the key in "start" and moving the shifter back and forth as necessary if it still doesn't crank. You can also check whether the car doesn't crank when the shifter is held one way or the other while in neutral (seeing whether the adjustment is centered).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for quick replies. Can you please give me a little information on where the neutral safety switch would be located. Is it in the console near the shifter or closer to the transmission? Thanks again.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Not sure where it is on the Prelude, but it is inside the console beside the shifter on the driver's side in the Accord. You will want to do the tests above to ensure that's what the problem is before touching the switch, so you don't end up with two possible problems that have the same symptoms. That would make troubleshooting more difficult. But if you confirm it is the shifter position that makes the difference you can proceed.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

It turns out that it was the Imobilizer, which, if I had been paying attention would have noticed the dash light not blinking.

Reply to
Brad

Okay - Imobilizer - NOT! I'm still having the same problem. I guess the dealership just wanted a few extra dollars that day. Apparently this dealership doesn't have anyone competent to troubleshoot electrical problems very well. I'm now convinced it may be the ignition switch and don't know if I should take the car to another dealership or take it back to the same one I've been using since I bought the car. If I take it back to the same dealership I could attempt to hit them up for a discount on future repair given I have spent almost $400.00 to them and they still have not fixed the issue. It seems reasonable to me that if they only thing that is moving is the key to start the engine and there is not click sound that it could quite probably be the ignition switch. If any disagrees please explain why. Anyone know what it would cost to replace both the ingition switch and starter? I find this rediculous that a Honda dealership doesn't have tools to narrow this problem down any further. First they said it was the battery then the imobilizer. And the car only has 40K miles on it. Geezzzz!

Brad

Reply to
Brad