2001 turn off AC

Hey guys, I have a 2001 Civic (coupe). Now on these models, when you turn the vent selector to the windshield, regardless of the heat setting, the A/C kicks in - the button lights up, and
even if you push it off like normal, it'll remain on!!
Granted it does defog the window, but it also uses more gas! Plus when I'm driving, I like the heat to come from the top and bottom, not right at me!
I know there's a way to turn it off; anyone have the link or know how??
Thanks
Ryan

I used to have the directions for shutting the A/C down on that model year, but I can't locate it right at this minute.

It doesn't use that much more fuel, that's just an old wives tale. So select the vent combination that works best for you, that's not a big deal.

Have you thought to ask your dealership? They would (or should) be more than willing to tell you how to perform this small operation.
If it doesn't pan out on here, I'll give the dealer ship a call. ..I know it's not a ton more fuel, but you can tell the car is working much harder. Plus, I want heat damnit, no AC - Canadian winters are cold!! haha
If ya find them, let me know! :)
Regards

Just turn the knob to "hot". You'll get all the heat you need.
AC isn't about cooling the air. AC is about *drying* the air. Once you've used AC to dry it, the heater then heats the dry air.
You end up with a defrosted windshield and a warm interior.
Now if I do that, am I not stuck having to drive around with the A/C constantly on to keep it from getting fogged on the inside?

The fog is moisture.
If you don't want moisture there, you'll have to remove it.
AC removes moisture.
Hence, you'll want to have the AC on if you want to remove moisture.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Condensation occurs when the relative humidity reaches 100%. You can lower the relative humidity by either removing moisture or by increasing the temperature. Of course, it will be faster to do both, but you can definitely defog without using A/C.

Only to a point.
And before that, you'll find yourself sweating.

Creating more moisture in the vehicle.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Unless it's a humid, muggy day, you can defog a windshield perfectly fine without A/C. It won't defog as fast without A/C, but it will. And it doesn't need to be on full hot where you're going to be sweating, a comfortable cabin temperature is more than enough to keep it from fogging.
Trust me on this one. I have had cars that didn't have A/C. They defogged perfectly fine.

I use my A/C all year long (I'm in Halifax). The small bit of extra fuel consumption is not enough to worry about, when you consider the comfort realized frm using the A/C.

I will. I would imagine someone else here has them readily accessible.
Ryan wrote:

Here's one version I found. I did it on my Civic years ago and it worked. It was rather tricky though, I remember having to try it 2-3 times. I was almost convinced that this was just a prank, but it did work the third try.
You can also search for "turn off a/c" at http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda
(1) Turn Car Off (2) Turn Temperature Knob To Full Blue (All the way to the left - Counter-Clock Wise) (3) Turn Vent Knob To Off (All the way to the left - Counter-Clock Wise) (4) Hold Down Air Recirculation Button As Well As A/C Button. NOT THE DEFROSTING BUTTON. (5) Turn the car on to two (ll) . The recirculation blinks ONCE and the AC blinks once.
Thanks guys...
I managed with out AC before, and all was fine... the AC works wonders; HOWEVER I live in Canada, and winters here are not a pretty thing! I want all the heat i can stand when I'm trying to defog the windsheild.
Moreover, in my civic you CAN'T (but for instructions below) put the selector on the windsheild (as a comfort setting OR to be used to defog it) without having the AC on... it's how Honda built it...
Thanks again guys, I'll let ya know how it goes. -Ryan

You must be in Winterpeg or farther north, if you don't want to use A/C in the winter. It's the fast way to defrost the windows of the vehicle.