2002 Accord key question

I have just acquired this vehicle. It requires one of those chip keys to start. I really hate those keys for several reasons. Is there any way to disable that function or otherwise avoid having to use those
high-dollar keys?
NoMore MrNiceGuy wrote:

Yes. Tape the chipped key to the plastic part of the steering column and then you can use cheap $2 copies all you want. It lowers your 'security' a bit.
'Curly'
motsco_ wrote:

Funny if not practical:)
Then it must be possible to "mount" just the chip somewhere near the ignition for the same effect. I was hoping to just be able to change the ignition safety programming on the car. Can that be done? Surely there is a chip somewhere inside the car that can be reprogramed. Something like the BIOS chip in a computer.

Not funny at all, and very practical. In fact, it's the only way to use a key that doesn't have the chip in it.
In other words, the chip is a required part of the system. No chip, no start.
Remote start applications, the third party ones, have you include a key or key head that you tape inside the steering column. Otherwise, the remote start won't start.

Nope.
What's the difference between taping a chipped key head inside the steering column somewhere, vs. disabling it via software? The end result is exactly the same: you can use any key as long as it's cut for the ignition switch, and you get lower security.
So why not tape a key head in there and be done with it?
People want to go the long and complicated route when the simple way is staring them in the face...

The simple method to use, is to simply use the key as provided and have the security it was designed to provide. Anything short of doing that can lead to the loss of your vehicle.
Brian Smith wrote:

Well, I was just curious if it was possible to do this the "right way" instead of placing a key near the ignition. Yeah, not as simple, but simplicity was not a consideration for me at this time. I guess that's why I also build my own computers:) And I can see how the chip keys result in higher security. I was willin' to sacrifice that.
Thanks for the input folks. It was educational.

I wish my 94 Integra GS-R has had this security feature;it was stolen last June 29,stripped,and torched.They got in,started it,and drove off in less than 60 seconds,alarm blaring. Of course,Accords aren't that popular with the auto thieves.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I read somewhere that Accords were among the most likely to be stolen.