2002 Civic oil?

Just got a used 2002 Civic and I'm a first time Honduian owner. My manual says to use Honda 10w-20 motor oil what's up with this. Do all Civic owners
use Honda oil or can I just use my Mobil one 10w-30 oil like I have used in all my other cars for years. Thanks, Rob.
| Just got a used 2002 Civic and I'm a first time Honduian owner. My manual | says to use Honda 10w-20 motor oil what's up with this. Do all Civic owners | use Honda oil or can I just use my Mobil one 10w-30 oil like I have used in | all my other cars for years. Thanks, Rob. |
You don't have to use Honda oil (I do because it's cheaper than other brands) but any brand will do it. But you should use 10W-20 as the manual says. What's up with what? They designed it, they know what they are talking about.
I think it's 5w- 20 that is called for. I know it's 5w-20 that is called for in my 2001 Accord V6.
Al

Rob wrote:

1) You do not need to use Honda brand oil.
2) I suspect that it calls for 5W-20, not 10W-20. The 5W-20 issue has been talked to death all over the 'net. You will get lots of different input on it. Since you like Mobil-1, I will say that you could run Mobil-1 5W-30 or 5W-20 without concern.
John