2002 CRV 4 Cyl.

Have a 2002 with 34,000 miles on it. About 2,000 miles ago had a CEL with a code of P01456. Checked the gas cap and it was loose. Tightened the cap
and re-set the code (code reader was well worth the $100 it cost).
Today had an emissions light with a code of P0134; indicates an O2 sensor problem. Again found the gas cap loose. Examination of the cap does not reveal any problem with the cap. The cap is always tightened more than 3 clicks yet the cap has been found loose twice.
Under what conditions, if any, will the cap work loose?
Thanks for any help with this puzzler.

filler neck gasket can produce the same code.
This code is different. It is saying the O2 sensor output is getting funky. If you clear the code it will probably stay gone for a while. Each time you reset it the interval will probably shorten, until you get disgusted and replace the front O2 sensor. If the code comes back right away now, check the wiring to the sensor to make sure it isn't broken, mashed, or otherwise bad.
Mike

There is a TSB for this issue on your car (04-002). The fix involves replacement of the fuel filler neck, which is defective. There's a fair bit of labor involved.
Visit your local dealer. If you're nice, they'll probably perform the repair under warranty even if the warranty is actually expired.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks for the info. I purchased the extended warranty.
Will they care that I cleared the code?
Should I wait until it happens again before going to the dealer?
Thanks again.
DodgeDriver wrote:

diagnosis.

No. If your VIN is covered by the warranty and the work has not yet been performed, that's all that's necessary to know.
Also have them check for more TSBs involving your car and its symptoms.

Not necessary. Tell them exactly what you've just told us, including the fact that you cleared the code with an OBD-II scanner, and not by disconnecting the battery. They'll be OK with that. If not, I'd be very surprised.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks for the good info.

of '06, was only interested in the P0134 code (I had not cleared it). Dealer replaced the O2 sensor under my extended warranty.
Thanks Tegger for your advice.
Service advisor said he had never seen a gas cap work loose such as I described. I have now seen it twice. Anyone have any experience with the gas cap working loose if it has been properly tightened?

That's P1456, not P01456.
The zero gets replaced by another digit for "enhanced" codes. There are only four numerical characters.

Then it probably means the service advisor either has determined your car is not included in the 04-002 campaign, or has not bothered to look it up.

Only if it's defective. Or the filler neck is. As a pre-emptive strike, I'd advise replacing the cap with a new OEM one.
Thereafter, I suggest the next time the P1456 comes on that you neither tighten the cap nor clear the code, but instead head directly to the dealer at the earliest possible moment so they can look at it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

my entry. From my observation, the service writer didn't look it up and he didn't want to discuss it with me. I will follow your advice and if I see the P1456 again and the cap is loose, I will not clear the code and will not tighten the cap but will make haste to the dealer.
I'll check on getting a new OEM gas cap tomorrow.
Thanks again.