2002 Honda CR-V

My wife put gas into her tank and replaced the gas cap but didn?t tighten it all the way causing the engine light to go off. I went ahead and tighten it again for her and drove it around the block. But the light is still on. Just wanted to know if there was any thing else I can do to get rid of the light? A buddy of mine said to pull out the fuse in the ECU to reset it? Just wanted to know if that could be some thing I can do?

Thanks,

AutoMike

Reply to
AutoMike

Aparently it can take up to a week of regular daily driving for the light to go off after it comes on because of a loose gas cap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Yeah (from experience) it takes about 5-7 days, I'm not sure if there's any rhyme or reason to that but that's the way it is. And unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't recommend pulling anything out of the ECU, might cause more problems than it's worth :)

Reply to
Robert

My experience, too - about a week. Several auto part chains will read and reset codes for free - you can check around if you get tired of seeing the light.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Its certainly worth a try (pulling the fuse), but it may not work. In the past you could always reset the ecu on Hondas by pulling the 7.5 amp fuse marked backup for 10 seconds. As I look through the FSM for my '06 CR-V, it makes a point of saying that some information is retained even if power is interrupted to the ecu and you have to reset it with the "tool".

Then there is also the problem of going through the "idle learn" procedure if you actually succeed in resetting the ECU. I'd say give it a week or two and if the light still doesn't go off, take it to autozone and get the code read to make sure it really is just the gas cap. They can reset it for you as well.

Reply to
E Meyer