2003 Accord 4-cyl auto problems.

I'm having several problems which I think are related; before I take my car in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask you folks for a little information, so I can at least have an idea what's going on.

I have four specific problems.

1.) I have to fiddle with the gearshift lever in order to move it out of park. This has been so for 6 weeks or so; it's only mildly annoying.

2.) Recently, my cruise control will not stay on. I can push the button to light the icon on my dash, but it doesn't stay lit, and I cannot then set the cruise control itself.

3.) My gas mileage appears to have dropped by 15-20%. This is somewhat spurious, as I need more data. I have only noticed in on the last two tanksful.

4.) My car has less zip in response to throttle application. Heavy application still seems fairly good, but ordinary traffic speed increases are noticeably reticent.

I don't know much, but I suppose that the brake/transmission lock-out switch is the common problem with 1 and 2. 3 and 4 make me think that perhaps my brakes are dragging, although I am unable to detect any specific sound, shudder or other physical indication of such.

I will be taking this to the Honda dealer when I get a chance. Any ideas or things I should ask about?

Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

you may have a bad earth on the dash wiring. #1 & #2 are definitely bad circuitry of some kind, and the only thing those two faults have in common is an earth connection. #3 & #4 could conceivably be connected as above if there was some kind of noisy circuitry, but you'll have to eliminate the obvious mechanical candidates first.

Reply to
jim beam

The brake light switch behind the pedal died on my 2003 pretty early ( less than 40,000 miles), in the same manner. Starting out as mildly annoyuing and over a twop month period eventually requiring the manual override to get it out of Park. This controls the shift inerlock function and has been a common problem on the 2003 Accord. It's an easy DIY project and the part is less than $15.00, even purchased at the dealer.

Probably unrealated to the first issue. Tune up time? Fuel filter? Air filter? Those platinum plugs are said to be good for 100m miles, but may start to deteriorate a bit sooner. Front brake pads on some 2003 Accords were defective, but they did make some noise and it made itself known in the first 20m miles.

Reply to
rjdriver

| perhaps my brakes are dragging

When car is on level ground & in neutral gear, hand brake off, can you push car forward using just 1 foot on 1 tyre ? My SM4 can be pushed like this.

Reply to
TE Chea

On 8/14/2007 5:51 AM rjdriver spake these words of knowledge:

Thanks, rj and jim. I will look in to changing the switch, and see if it clears up the first two problems. I will also look and see what I should replace with respect to a 'tune-up'. The car has spoiled me, needing pretty much just oil changes (OK, a couple of other things, but not many) up to here, at 107,000 miles.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

If you are at 107k miles on the original spark plugs I would sure start by changing them. NGK or Denso Iridium plugs are my first choice for modern Hondas.

The air filter is also an obvious thing to check for performance and economy problems.

In theory if something like the O2 sensor was going bad then the check engine light should come on, but I have seen some cars with a sluggish O2 sensor which effected emissions but wasn't bad enough to set off the check engine light.

John

Reply to
John Horner