2003 Accord auto 4 cyl

Page 1 of 2
I've got low miles on my car, around 75,000. It runs great except for paint chipping off front of hood near light and side of windshield. Is there any warrantee for this paint chipping off? I'm
the original owner, if that matters.
Also, I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to keep this car but I think within a year I'll need new tires. At one time I put Michelins on them (pleased with them a lot) and they are beginning to show signs of wear after around 50k. I'm thinking of replacing them with less expensive tires of decent quality maybe good for 30k to 40k miles to save money in case I don't keep her (may give her to an inlaw). Any recommendations ?

No, that's a normal maintenance item. That's what happens when you shove a painted metal panel down the road at 70mph.

Can't speak to the tires in detail, but overall just get new tires and paint the hood and move on for 9 more years. Problem solved.

yeah,be careful to not follow trucks closely,their tires tend to throw up road debris,like stones. Especially don't closely follow sand/salt trucks in the winter.

paint and new tires is a LOT cheaper than buying a new car,and you already know what shape your present car is in. Plus,your older car will likely weigh much less,have better real world mileage,and also have far less complex systems for which parts and repairs can ONLY come from the dealer/Factory. (I'm thinking of integrated,computerized climate controls/sound system,nav systems,etc.)
the older car will also have fewer air bags. If you do get in a collision,costs for replacing air bags and cover panels will be lower.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I agree but the mentality of most people yearns for a new car every so many years. Nothing like being trapped into payments for life!
Meanwhile, there are a few of us that prefer old tin and spend our money on other stuff.
Life goes on...
JT

I agree in most cases. In my case, I might be doing cross country driving (not sure yet) so I think I'd rather do this with a new car instead. If I don't do this, I'll likely keep the car longer. In my case, I have never gotten tired of my cars but changed them for other reasons.
"GrumpyOne" wrote

Not everyone has to make "payments" on their new cars.

That's your preference, and not an unwise one.
In the meantime, my '04 Accord runs great at 81K, but I am considering buying a new car next year. I am wondering if by then I will have to start spending money on repairs and extra maintenance for the '04.... a crapshoot, I know. I can likely put it off to 2014. One thing I do not want to give up is the generous seat depth of my car. I have long legs, and I love the extra thigh support these seats give me. It's a lot more than that in any of the three Civics I previously owned, and it seems in the mid-sized cars like the new Camry and Accord, they may have shortened the depth. I sat in a 2012 Camry and that's how it seemed to me. I will wait to try the 2013 Accord before deciding anything.
"Howard Lester" wrote in message
"GrumpyOne" wrote

Not everyone has to make "payments" on their new cars.

That's your preference, and not an unwise one.
In the meantime, my '04 Accord runs great at 81K, but I am considering buying a new car next year. I am wondering if by then I will have to start spending money on repairs and extra maintenance for the '04.... a crapshoot, I know. I can likely put it off to 2014. One thing I do not want to give up is the generous seat depth of my car. I have long legs, and I love the extra thigh support these seats give me. It's a lot more than that in any of the three Civics I previously owned, and it seems in the mid-sized cars like the new Camry and Accord, they may have shortened the depth. I sat in a 2012 Camry and that's how it seemed to me. I will wait to try the 2013 Accord before deciding anything.
I kept my 06 Accord couple I4 with 95k miles and bought (new) a 2005 S2000 with 32k miles on it for a lot less than a new Civic.

Regardless, buying a new car every few years is hellaciously expensive compared to chilling out and using the car for longer. It doesn't matter whether you finance the car or pay cash, the expense is still there and it's still huge.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Especially when a typical well maintained Japanese vehicle will last at least 300K...
JT
"GrumpyOne" wrote

Ahhh, but does your old '82 (?) have all the fancy doo-dads of the newer cars? ;-)
Of course a new car is expensive, and one every few years is not something *I* can do, or would even *want* to do. But every 9 or 10 years? Yes, I'll pay for that.

Who cares?
On 07/15/2012 04:18 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

and there you have it.
personally, i don't mind using a mechanical key. and i can find my way between the house, supermarket and work without a satnav. and i'll take the weight savings of the manual windows too. all in a car that's got seats NOT designed for a fat person like most modern cars. i so hate sloppy seats with wide asses and no lumbar support, i just can't say.
--
fact check required

fancy doo-dads are more stuff to break(or steal),and parts for them may not be available once the warranty expires(like electronic stuff). Certainly not if you're hoping to keep the car for a long time and drive it 100's of thousands of miles.
Plus all that extra crap adds weight and lowers mileage.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim, I agree and disagree. Sometimes if you wait to buy a car after about 10 years or so, some of the newer features (electronics or what have you) may be worth having. I agree the more you have, the more things can break and to a lesser extent, maybe added weight. Obviously there are always pros and cons to having a new car. You may laugh at me but one of the things that bothers me a lot about having a new car is that first scratch or ding. After that, I'm better :)
Jim Yanik wrote:

I think that you wrapped it up nicely.
A replacement key is about 5 bucks.
Having no computer is a godsend.
The hand crank windows work fine
I do want a station wagon though...
JT
On 07/25/2012 09:36 PM, GrumpyOne wrote:

you have multiple computers - they're just analog, not digital. distributor spark timing mechanism, mixture vs. flow for your carburetor[s] and auto transmission ratio vs. load/speed are all examples.
digital computers are much more reliable than analog - typically 10x more so. so your complaint is really about needing a different set of tools to deal with them. and the potential for abuse when dealers lock you out of your own car by keeping things to themselves as a means of extorting money. fortunately though, with have this "interwebs" thing, and we can get around pretty much any "dealer only" b.s. if we know where to look.

search craigslist for here in kalifornistan. they pop up from time to time. no rust. if it works, just fly out and drive it home.

--
fact check required

jim beam wrote:

They also show up on the "This Old Honda" classifieds. Eventually, I'll find the one that will fit my needs.
JT
On 07/15/2012 04:22 AM, GrumpyOne wrote:

i don't know that many vehicles will last that long quite so easily any more. back in the day, you could take a head off a 300k mile honda and find the cylinder bores virtually pristine, with full cross-hatching all the way around and for the full depth. since the mandatory reduction in z.d.d.p. levels in all motor oils [allegedly for catalyst protection, though honda and toyota seemed to manage to last 20 years with it ok before], i've noticed substantial levels of distress on honda cylinder walls and camshafts, even at much lower mileage.
now, this is a relative thing, in that a "worn" honda at 300k is still a good deal less worn than a "normal" frod at 100k, but it's still a noticeable difference. if you use a magnetic drain plug and monitor the difference in fouling between zddp doped oil and off-the-shelf oil, even synthetic, the difference the amount of magnetic residue is noticeable that way too. i think this is why honda went to roller cams - plain cams just don't last without zddp.
anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the future holds - and whether people's expectations of vehicle lifetime adjust. detroit vehicle owners expect their transmissions to go at ~100k and don't seem to have a problem with it. i think the newer generations of honda owners, if there will be such a thing, will have to adjust their vehicle life expectations downwards as well.
--
fact check required

Honda management expects their transmissions to go at 75K, and don't seem to have a problem with it.
That is apparently "normal" to Honda.
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:17:42 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

I don't know if you are right or wrong but I did have a 1991 Honda Accord auto trans go out around 92,000 miles or so. I hated to part with the car (it had been the best car I ever owned at that moment) but the repair cost (by others) almost cost what the car was worth then so opted to buy a new 2003 Honda Accord to replace it. I have about 74,000 miles or so now on it and so far so good on the auto trans. . It might be even better than the old one. The newer one is larger and rides smoother but the older one was more nimble. Both were 4 cylinder automatics. And likely despite the competition and ability to buy more expensive car, buy another new Honda Accord when the time comes.