2003 Accord Whirring Noise in Engine?

Page 1 of 2
Any ideas? It started just yesterday - it's very noticeable when accelerating and appears to be coming from the belt area on the driver's side under the hood.

Hancock wrote:

inspect asap and quit driving until fixed.
thanks - I thought it was the belt - any idea of the cost to replace this?

"Hancock" wrote

My dealership (Arizona) gets $545 (at least, and less a customary 10% off if you ask nice) for the belt, water pump, and external belts.
How many hours would this take to repair? thanks again

Hancock wrote:

I doubt it is the timing belt, but it might be the accessory drive belt.
John Horner wrote:

you'd better hope you're right! when timing belts fray, they /do/ make a whining noise. ignoring that costs real dollars.
"Hancock" wrote

4 or 6 cyl? How many miles? (Only 6 cyl's have a timing belt per my '04 manual.)

You had better read another manual. {;^)
"Brian Smith" wrote

:-) Yeah, that was pretty dumb, huh? OK, let me try it a different way: where *replacing* a timing belt is concerned, the owner's manual indicates it's necessary only in the 6 cylinder. How's that?

In the Owners Manuals of all of my 4 cylinder Honda cars ('79, '83, '85, '88, another '88, '91, '94 and '97) they stated the timing belt should be replaced around 96,000 kilometres. The '01 V6 required the timing belt to be changed at 160,000 kilometres.
"Brian Smith" wrote

But in '03 apparently things must have changed. My Accord is an '04 4-cylinder. The Service Interval section of the Owner's Manual refers to changing the timing belt at 105,000 miles, or 60,000 miles severe service, and specifies "6-cylinder only." In the 4-cylinder Service Interval section of the manual there is no reference at all to a timing belt, intimating there is no service required.
Therefore, Your Honor, I conclude....
Now, what about this OP's whirring noise? :-)

Maybe it's a cat caught up in the belt? {;^)
"Brian Smith" wrote

Chasing a mouse that's eaten the whirring wiring!
OK, how long it takes to do the job, I don't know. I just leave the car for the day. Call and ask.
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:45:43 -0700, "Howard Lester"

Brian's right, you need to read your owner's manual again and think about this. I am not sure about the 2004 Accord vs. 2003 Accord tho I suspect the same for the 4 cylinder engine. Maybe someone can confirm this ????
For the 2003 4cyl Accord, it specifies a drive belt which includes timing as part of functions. For this belt is says to inspect it at certain intervals and depending on the findings, it may need to be replaced.
ref (2003 Accord sedan) : https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC0303/AC0303O00302B.pdf and https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC0303/AC0303O00248B.pdf (see page 250 and 252)
ref (2004 Accord sedan) : https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/AC0404/AC0404O00234B.pdf (pg 235)
Hope this helps !!
i took the car over today - they found a slight leak in the pump, which supposedly caused the brake fluid to leak too - I did a complete service, which was overdue, and they told me the belts, everything else were fine. They said the noise may be there for the next 100,000 miles but said it's in perfect condition - thoughts?
<2003 Honda owner> wrote in message wrote:

from the top of my head i would say belt if thats what it is ran on. my dad has a 07 civic and the accessory belt makes whining most of the time sounds like a ufo (humming)
Longstreet wrote:

yes, i think they're blowing smoke - hondas don't make noises like that normally, and if they do, they certainly won't last for 100k miles.
if the pump seal is leaking, it's not long after that until the bearing goes. then the timing belt goes and you lose valves/pistons in your interference engine.
find a different mechanic and get a second opinion.

turns out it was the belt pulley - it's fixed.

Hoover wrote:

good.