2003 Accord Windshield Washer problem

My son has a 2003 Accord that he lent me for a week, while he isn't using it. I noticed (here in winter New England) that the drivers side windshield washer just dribbles a little bit of fluid, while the passenger side is a normal full blast squirt.

So I figure it's got to be a serial circuit of some sort from passenger side to driver side of the fluid hose. I popped the hood and the hoses are not exposed, they are under this metal cowl that has no apparent method of lifting off. There are two little metal tabs on the cowl, near the drivers side nozzle that look like they might be the key to getting access to that side, but no matter how I push them I don't seem to be able to dislodge that cowl.

What I do know as that a year ago he had that side windshield wiper motor/blade mechanism worked on as something sheered when he didn't scrape the windshield on a iced up windshield morning. So perhaps a mechanic dislodged something on the washer when working on the wiper. ...maybe.. it's a theory.

Any help as to how I get in there to look around and figure out what's wrong? Or is this a dealer only gig?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve L

Have you checked to be sure that the spray nozzle is not partially clogged with something like wax?

Reply to
pws

Thanks for that good common sense tip. No I haven't. But I suppose it could be that a small piece of gunk of some sort is blocking the nozzle. Maybe a small pin to clean the nozzle is in order as a first check.

I'll do that first thing tomorrow AM.

Reply to
Steve L

I could be wrong on it, but checking that is fast, free and easy. I used a sewing needle last time and completely cleared both nozzles and adjusted the angle that the fluid sprays while it was in there.

Please let us know if that does it. If not, someone more knowledgeable than me should have a suggestion.

Reply to
pws

I am curious how you adjusted the angle of spray.

Reply to
Clete

With the needle or pin inserted in the washer jet, just aim the jet in the direction you wish the spray to hit the windshield.

Reply to
Brian Smith

What he said. I have not adjusted them on a Honda, but I am guessing that the system is pretty universal for modern cars.

Reply to
pws

"Steve L" wrote

A month ago I took my car in for a wash. The outside temperatures were well below freezing, and guess what happened when I tried using the washers? Frozen. Jamming a pin down each nozzle helped free up some of the waxy? ice, but not all. I had to wait for the weather to warm up before I could again use the washers.

Reply to
Howard Lester

Next time use a hair dryer on it or hot water.

Reply to
Clete

You could have poured some windshield washer fluid over the nozzles. That would have freed them up and the warmth from the engine would have taken care of the hoses going to them.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Would that fluid hurt the paint ? I haven't used that stuff since I left NY. Now I use water and vinegar mix because I'm in the south. I did use that stuff in NY because of the freezing temps.

Reply to
Guy

Well I tried cleaning out the nozzle.. but no joy.

I still can't figure out how to get under that cowl. I think I'm going to call my local Honda dealer. They've been good to me so far and let them fix it.

They made damn sure no one was going to get under that cowl and look at those hoses unless they knew the secret handshake.

Reply to
Steve L

I have never seen (or heard of) any damage done to any paint job due to windshield washer fluid, Guy. Think about it, when one uses the windshield washers, the fluid goes on the paint as it runs off the windshield and for those people who never seem to adjust their nozzles properly, the fluid hits the vehicles behind their vehicle.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Yep, makes sense. Now tell those drives to fix their nozzles ahead .

Reply to
Guy

One would expect them to adjust the aim, once they see the fluid going nowhere near their windshields.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Sounds logical but I might disagree. I see too many who can't even clean their back window or do clean it as a small round shape to see thru. I'm sure you know the kind so I'm thinking if they can't do that, can you imagine them trying to take the time to clean a spitter (nozzle) ? I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are right.

Reply to
Guy

Some people are capable of doing things properly, while others shouldn't be permitted outside without adult supervision.

Reply to
Brian Smith

LOL.... so true !!!!

(thanks for making me laugh... it felt good)

Reply to
Guy

Well no joy on the fix for my drivers side nozzle.

I've tried cleaning it with a small safety pin, and then heat gunning the whole thing.. but no joy.

Mr. Honda service manager says bring it in and we'll look at it, so I'm off to have them diag and hopefully repair this afternoon. I'll sit in the waiting room like an expectant father. Nervous and anxious and taking con-calls for business.

I'll ask them to aim the nozzles if they fix the squirt.

Reply to
Steve L

Steve, if you don't mind, keep us posted on the fix. thanks.

Reply to
Guy