2003 civic heat/AC fan isn't working

Hi,
I have 2003 civic, and my heat/AC fan isn't working. I've been told it's most likely a transistor controller down next to the fan motor. Ok, I
see it, and the two screws that hold it in place. If I take it out does anyone know how to check it out? Oh, dealer wants $64 US for the part if it checks bad, but I'd like to repair if it can be done.
No job, no money, no AC! Chicka

If it isn't potted in epoxy, it can probably be repaired if you have some component level troubleshooting skills. I'd start by testing the transistor that actually drives the motor and move up from there.
James Sweet wrote:

Thank you for the reply, if I was to use a meter on the posts of the controller do you know what I should expect ? Can the transistor be opened and repaired? Thanks again, Chicka
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:11:47 -0400, la Bella

I would bridge the contacts and see if the fan works. If it does it is probably the controller.

Jim wrote:

I did this and found the blower seemed just fine. Then I removed the fan power transistor and off to the dealer to have it checked out. That was something they don't do so I got a quote of $64 out the door US and thinking I could get a better price at Murray's or the autozone. Murray's wanted $75+tax and autozone $79+tax, so back to my dealer and bought the part which corrected my problems.
Oh, on line I found the part for $41, but with ground shipping of $12 I didn't want to wait.
One other thing about my problem that might help others, with an ear at the fan you can hear a click with the fan on when you turn the key to on, that may have been why at times my fan worked, but I thought it a short?
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, Chicka
la Bella wrote:

If these don't do it for you, sign in and SEARCH. It's for CR-V, but it should be the same. Parts diagrams (and prices) are at www.slhondaparts.com
http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t "777&highlightn+transistor http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t 456&highlightn+transistor http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t 63&highlightn+transistor http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t $506&highlightn+transistor
'Curly'