2003 EX Stereo upgrade

Hello all, I just bought a 2003 Honda Accord EX (I love it) and had a question regarding the factory stereo. I would like to get some aftermarket speakers for the back and the doors, but it looks as if replacing the
factory cd player would be a pain and it would also look funny. Plus the in-dash 6 cd changer is kinda nice.
Has anybody had any luck upgrading their sound system while keeping the original factory stereo? Does it still sound as good as an good aftermarket radio/CD player? Do I need to buy an amp/EQ or does factory CD player have enough power to rock some new speakers?
Thanks for your help!!!
Factory spkrs are usually quite poor try just replacying the spkrs and go from there with a adaptor you can mostlikely add a amp to the system with a sub box in the trunk