2003 Pilot air filter box... I stripped the bolts... why are there bolts anyway?

I stripped a bolt that is in the corner of the air filter box and now I can't get the freaking cover off. Any suggestions on how I should get the bolt out? Its in a small corner and not easily accessible. I
can't get a vice grip in there. And I thought about drilling, but the box is plastic, and I don't want to create a larger hole in the plastic so random air gets in.
Why is the box bolted down anyway with crappy bolts that rust? Once I get the bolts out, I'm going to look into getting clamps for the box. Every other car has clamps on the air box!
Has anyone done this? Do you recommend against this?