2003 pilot transmission problem

I have pilot and it is making growling or grinding noise from the transmission. It has 57000 miles on it and has been serviced for the 2004 recall. It happens around 20 mph, 35 mph and 48 mph when the
accelerator is depressed slightly to maintain the speed. Once the car stuttered while driving at fairly low speed (~30 mph), this was scary. I am going to make an appointment with the dealer and have them look at it. Did anyone with the same problem get the Honda to repair the transmission?
ben wrote:

Have you changed your rear differential fluid yet? Does it make a disturbing grinding / shuddering noise when you do tight turns in a parking lot? Have your tires been rotated regularly, or are the fronts getting worn smaller than the rears? That will do it when the differential fluid is exhausted.
30,000 miles seems to be the limit for the fluid, and you've got 3+ years on it too.
Sign in at hondasuv.com and search for 'pump and fluid' in the CR-V section . . . way more hits than the PILOT forums (same basic differential).
'Curly'
Had the same problem with my 03 Pilot. If like me, a computer chip needs to be changed that regulates gear change. Cost $300 Good luck...I had the same feeling driving my Pilot. Man it's an anoyance isn't it? Should be a quick fix for the Stealership though

I had a similar problem also on a 2003 pilot. It did exactly the same thing as you described. Took it to sislei delaership. One service manager came with me for a test drive. He experienced a 5 second shudder when the car got to just under 40Km/h. When I came the second time to get it examined by the service director he said that it is normal, and suggested that a tranni flush be performed. It was performed, but it did not improve by much. Although, they did perform a transmission jet install a year earlier due to a recall, I believe that all these pilots that were recalled had a major flaw in the transmission, and Honda did not really want to do anything major like free tranni replacement. I was very dissatisfied with 2003 pilot, so much, that I got rid of it. If you still have the problem and want to remain with the vehicle you have to take your case directly to Honda Canada or Honda of USA, depends where you live. ben wrote:

highkm wrote:

That is exactly what they told me when it was occuring very infrequently. They said to have the differential fluid replaced. This was done and now it is happening every time I drive. If they do not fix or replace the transmission then I will contact Honda of USA directly. Thanks very much. I am also thinking of getting rid of this car now that gas price is high and is giving me much problem.