2004 Accord dvd player

Hi,

So I am all ready to purchase a 2004 Honda Accord EXL V4 with navigation. The question being, how hard would it be to get the Navigation system to start playing DVD's? And would it have been really hard for Honda to do it in the first place?

How much would the whole deal cost? The Accord that I am buying is with all the standard options that were provided in a 2004 Accord EXL V4.

Thanks.

Reply to
dufffman

umm. my bad.. Obviously not too good w/cars.. I just meant that its a four cylinder car. Any idea about hte dvd player? And why honda wouldn't do it?

Reply to
dufffman

I assume you mean converting the nav itself to play the DVDs. Basically impossible. The nav's DVD is dedicated for the nav. You would have to add DVD video software to it's embedded OS. So unless you're familiar with video programming for Microsoft embedded OSes ...

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it illegal to have a DVD system where the screen is visible to the driver?

Not much to add but the legal liabilities are mind blowing. Think about the settlement for the family of a person killed because the other driver was watching a movie while driving.

Reply to
Brian Stell

I have done work programming w/embedded OS's.. but its a been a while.. Just not sure if the specs (hardware) of the nav system would support it. I could look more into it and find out.. and I am sure if it could be done, it's probably done.. i just couldn't find enough materials online for it. A lotta people have put up sayng that it could be done, but not too much other info.

As far as i m concerned, its illegal to watch it, not have it. Just like its not illegal to have a cell phone in the car, its illegal to use it while driving. I am sure if I decide to watch dvd's while driving (would never do that) then it would be illegal. I have seen cars w/a dvd player in the dash board screen.

Anyone have experience with playing DVD's in a 2004 Accord EXL w/navigation? cost? feasibility?

Thanks.

Reply to
dufffman

But it is a very good reason for HONDA not to do it (which was part of your question).

Reply to
Brian Stell