2004 Headlamp replacement

OK, I've never had such a problem replacing a bulb before. I've removed the clips and gained access thru the wheel-well /fender to the passenger side headlamp but there is absolutely no movement when I try to turn the bulb counter clockwise (or clockwise for that matter). Is there some trick I'm missing? I hate to spray any lube in there and make matters worse, or try to use channel locks or something.

Any advice appreciated. (I know I could pay someone to do it, but let's face it - when I turn a simple bulb replacement over to the pros I might as well put my tools in the next garage sale!

Thanks!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Is there a chance that you would like to share what type of vehicle you're having this issue with?

Reply to
Brian Smith

Sorry! 04 Honda Accord 4cyl. Couldn't read my mind I guess! ;-)

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" wrote in news:A1y2m.11$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

Yep.

That trick is are outlined in great detail in your Owner's Manual. Do you have one of those?

Good.

Even gooder.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, I have the manual and what I've stated is pretty much verbatim what is written, and I'd hardly call what they describe in the manual a 'trick'. It simply states to turn the bulb counter clockwise to remove it. I turned until I saw the entire light assemble moving an was afraid I was going to break something.

I gave it a rest, eat some dinner and then snuck up on it from behind and it finally gave way, taking a fair amount of knuckle skin along the way. Obviously I had failed to account for the amount of blood that needed to be shed to be successful!!

But thanks for your constructive feedback on the use of more deadly chemical or mechanical force!

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" wrote in news:D8z2m.1399$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad:

No, it says to SQUEEZE and turn. There are tabs that need to be manually pressed out of the way before the locking ring can be turned.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9C3ADDBABDAC6tegger@

208.90.168.18:

Actually, I'm wrong myself.

SQUEEZE, yes, TURN, no. Squeeze-and-turn is for a different model.

There might have been dirt built up that prevented you from easily turning the bulb. Once the connector was removed, turning /should/ have been easy. Did you try pushing the bulb in a bit (or otherwise wiggling it) while turning?

Reply to
Tegger

Ok, I'll forgive you this time Tegger! Even though you made me get off my butt, put down my beer, and go out and get the manual to re-read that step! (Of course had I read your follow up BEFORE jumping into action.....!)

It sure seemed clean enough, although a little grime can go a long way to make something stick when it isn't suppose to. Wonder why science can't create a glue that works that well!

Have a good evening!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had to replace a passenger side bulb on my '00 Accord not long ago and it was not easy. Not a lot of space for leverage in there.

Reply to
Paul

Both mating pieces I believe are polymer based, a lot of expansion and contraction from heating up and cooling down. The other side is even more fun.....

Reply to
L Alpert

Yes. I figure it (driver's side) will go out soon. I've noted in my owner's manual to drink the beer BEFORE starting the replacement process!

Reply to
Mark

I just pull the battery, it's pretty easy after that (still can be a pain to break loose the first time!). Just remember to have your radio and/or navi codes.

Others have mentioned to go up through the wheel well...found this on Wiki answers....

To get to the driver side bulb, park your car....turn the wheel as far as it can go right, pop out the pannel in the wheel well, that should get you access to that bulb. You should be able to reach down on the passanger side through the engine compartment. An alternative to popping out the pannel in the wheel well and breaking the round mounting devices, you can simply remove the batter and get to both low beam and high beam bulbs right from the engine compartment.

Reply to
L Alpert

Seems over-kill to pull the battery - having to reset everything. Unless I missed something the owner's manual doesn't even suggest that. As long as the lights are off there should be no power to the bulb. I looked under the hood and didn't see any easy way to reach the bulb without a lot of disassembly. Going thru the wheel well as the manual instructs is the easiest way. Turning the bulb once you have access (which ever way you get at it) was the part I had problems with. No matter - perseverance paid off and I was finally able to get it to come loose and get it replaced.

Reply to
Mark

It's not as hard as you would think to pull the battery, and it gives you a good angle to work with without having to extend. The only presets I have are on the sat radio, and I know the codes for the nav and radio....only takes a few minutes actually (I've done it twice).

Reply to
Isaiah