2005 Civic pulls left on acceleration...why?

It brakes straight, but there is a definite tendency to the left and I don't mean just on hard acceleration. Is this alignment or something else? Tire or dragging brakes?

Reply to
Nobody

Start by letting the car sit overnight and checking the air pressure in all four tires. If off, record here and fill to proper pressure.

The air pressure spec is likely printed on the door jam or the interior of the glove compartment.

Next check for uneven tire wear.

Have you hit anything hard lately, like potholes or curbs?

One can google on this topic (the pulling; what to look for with tire wear), too, for some ideas. Could be several causes.

Keep checking back. Others will likely make suggestions, too. This is just a start.

"Nobody" wrote

Reply to
Elle

It brakes straight, but there is a definite tendency to the left and I don't mean just on hard acceleration. Is this alignment or something else? Tire or dragging brakes?

It is called TORQUE STEER - plain and simple - if you are experiencing quite a bit of it - you are IMHO accelerating much too hard - but some like to emulate jack rabbits - cost will show up in clutch and or tranny - good for mechanics though.

You say you experience it all levels of acceleration - your tires could be overinflated - that will transmit more TS back to you. Tire inflation was the cause of a VW Van of mine steering left up over the crown - not even the dealer could spot it - course I had OEM Dunlops on the beast - real trash tires like most OEM's. So check the TP.

Reply to
butch burton

"Elle" wrote in news:O1R1f.8488$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Tire pressure is correct. The dealer just put new brakes, rotors, drums, and tires on the vehicle. If it's torque steer, it never did this before.

Reply to
Nobody

"Nobody" wrote

Why were new rotors and drums installed?

How many miles are on this car?

If you have the time and motivation, you can switch right and left tires and see if the pulling switches sides or stays the same. This will give you an inkling as to whether it's an alignment problem or a tire/wheel problem.

If the tires are new as of just a week or so ago, I gather no wear is evident.

Again, have you (or your spouse, or your children) hit anything with the car? This could throw off the alignment.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:UiU1f.285$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

no I haven't hit anything...I noticed it pulling out of the dealership

Reply to
Nobody

Probably the tires and not just the front. A bad rear tire can also pull the car off it's line. Also, in some cases, the car has a tendency to drift to the right since the road tend to lean toward the sewage/drainage.

If the tires are not noicey (bad tires tend to get noisy), then I'd start with the alignment.

Pars

Reply to
Pars

alignment. make sure you find a shop that knows how to do a good

4-wheel alignment. my experience is that some places are not very good and taking the vehicle back 2 or 3 times till they get it right is not uncommon.
Reply to
jim beam

Could be an alignment problem but you mentioned that the problem became apparent immediately after servicing. Assuming that they didn't do the alignment (you said brakes and tires) I wouldn't want to fool around with alignment now. you already have enough variables.

Switching the tires left-to-right, as someone suggested, is easy and would rule them out. While you have the wheels in the air, give them a spin to make sure that the brakes are not dragging excessively. Also look for any damage or other obvious problems. It is possible that one of the employees at the dealership ran it into the curb or something.

If you can't find anything after all this, take it back to the dealership.

Why was all this stuff replaced on a new car anyway?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew