2005 Honda Accord Can't Pass Inspection

I'm having a problem getting my car approved in its yearly inspection and I don't understand why. My battery had completely discharged and the mechanic says the computer has to go through its own calibration before the car can be accepted. In particular he said that the car had to be driven for at least 20 miles at

60+ mph. After this was done, he said there were still 2 problematic "monitors" that had to be addressed. Which were:
  1. The car may have excessive gasoline in the tank. He recommended burning off gas till the tank was half full.
  2. He said that its possible that there may be excessive vapor in the fuel system. (wouldn't that be influenced by item 1.?) I am completely puzzled by this whole thing. I always thought that, if there was a problem, a sensor would indicate an out range error and point to a possible problem component via an error code. Why is this situation not conventional? The mechanic claims that he has a bulletin document from Honda which describes this. Does anyone out there have any knowledge about this?
Reply to
murray

Its pretty normal for all OBD-II cars to have to execute a predefined "drive cycle" after the ECM has been reset before the monitors come up "ready". It varies from car to car exactly what the sequence is. Be glad you have a Honda. Some of the mid-90's Nissans have incredibly convoluted sequences that usually take weeks of driving before they come up "ready".

Reply to
E. Meyer

"murray" wrote in news:49c2781d$0$22505$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

You need several days of dead-cold to full-hot running which includes as many driving situations and speeds as possible.

This is required because the EVAP tests are not run until the gas tank is between 3/4 and 1/4 full. Therefore the EVAP monitors will report "not ready" until the tank level declines and those tests are run.

That assertion doesn't make much sense, unfortunately. Perhaps you've misunderstood his words?

That's correct. But those error codes are generated when a particular system fails the test that is run by the engine's computer. If the computer never runs the test, you won't get an error code, but you'll also have a "not ready" flag in the computer for that monitor.

I'm not personally aware of any such TSB for the '05 Accord. If your mechanic could give you the TSB number and you could pass it along here, that would be really nice.

Reply to
Tegger