2005 Pilot key remote not working

Wireless key lock/unlock is no longer working. Probably not the key's battery because I've tried our second key which is almost never used, so that
bettery should be good. Have not replaced the batteries yet.
I looked in the owner's manual for a fuse, but can't find one associated with the wireless key system.
I'm thinking the problem is in the car somewhere.
Any suggestions..?

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On 7/6/2010 10:07 PM, Larry in AZ wrote:

K.I.S.S. Unless you're leaving something out... Like a catastrophic electrical failure of the car involving replacing a battery AFTER the alternator fried it to a crisp, do yourself a favor and check the battery. You can pick up a brand new, ALMOST certain to be good, battery for <$3, why not try the easiest cure first?
Tell you what, before you even buy the new battery, open the fob and remove the current battery, scuff up its surface with a dry paper towel, check to make sure the contacts aren't funky looking and reinsert the battery and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, THEN look for something else.

I'd try changing the remote's battery, myself.
It /is/ possible for the battery to drain to the point where the remote can't be activated, even if the remote is rarely used.
Besides, the battery is so cheap, and so easily-replaced, that it would be foolish to begin your diagnosis by ignoring the simplest possible cause of the problem.
--
Tegger

Thanks. You guys are probably right. I'll go out and try to get new batteries today.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
Larry in AZ, wrote the following at or about 7/7/2010 11:20 AM:
[snip]

Let us know if that doesn't do the trick. If we can't come up with something else, then we'll all learn from your experience when you do get it fixed.

It was the batteries. Replaced both at Ace Hardware and the keys work now. Surprised me because the one key had almost never been used. Those batteries seem to have a life of about 5 years, then die.
Expensive little buggers, about $6 each after tax.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
Larry in AZ, wrote the following at or about 7/7/2010 6:14 PM:

Lesson learned and here's another... While I like Ace Hardware stores... hell, I like ANY hardware store<g>... I suspect that if your locally owned Ace is anything like the one we have here, you probably paid at least a 50% premium for those batteries. I can't believe the way the local ACE has gotten. It's like buying cereal or deodorant at the local 7-11 vs. a Giant Wally World.
Regardless, glad you got the problem solved and you can once again lock your car remotely.

Agreed, but a guy at Ace installed them in the keys too. And with my eyesight, I can't even see the bettery type engraved on it without a microscope. ;-)

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

Less expensive than a wild-goose chase for a non-existent problem, I think.
Enjoy your Honda.
--
Tegger

said:

some electronics draw a tiny current even when not used.

Ace Hardware is not the lowest price place to buy batteries. try Target,back in the flashlight section. If you shop around,you can buy those coin cells for much less than Everready/Duracell package prices.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 07/07/10 19:14, Larry in AZ wrote:

Maybe, my 2003 Accord sedan was 7 last month and my remotes are <knocks on wood> just fine so far.

My Radio Shack guy said that he would not only get the right battery, he would replace them himself just to be sure that they worked. We have a 2010 Honda Pilot Touring (the reason I'm subscribed to the group) but we also have twin 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos, and the remotes are working to this day, without battery replacement. One has to get the latest Lithium (whatever) and not "ordinary," whatever that means, batteries. My house has an ADT system and the batteries last well over ten years, and when a couple went out, I went to my guy at Radio Shack (no, I do not work for them) and he found the super- duper lithium things that ADT uses. It's worth it to not have to worry about the batteries going out every year.

Yeha, our 2004 Acura TL is a year older than the Pilot, and the fob batteries appear to be still strong. Perhaps it's a lerger capacity batt and lasts longer.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 23:14:18 GMT, Larry in AZ

I've gotten most fob type batteries overseas - www.dealextreme.com . You can often get a dozen batteries for $3 - $5 or so shipped. Granted it takes a few weeks to get here. But basically my thinking is since there's no "Low Battery" indicator on these devices, and since the batteries are so cheap, replace them every year and a half or so. Sure, maybe that's a little short of a period to replace them, but would you rather waste a little money, or be stuck somewhere with a dead fob?
Ok, with just a remote keyless entry it may not be a big deal (just use the regular key) but in my case it's a alarm remote. And if I open the door without disarming the alarm, the alarm goes off - I then have to remember a certain 'disarm' sequence. Something like insert key, put to acc position, press hidden alarm 'valet' button twice, put key back to off, hit valet once, put key back to acc, hit valet button three times, etc.

Waiving the right to remain silent, Evan Platt

At least the key still works in the door lock....

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:32:56 GMT, Larry in AZ

Yep, that's what I said in the next paragraph.. There are newer cars I believe where the key is 'electronic' - probably BMW or Mercedes or Lexus. I don't think I'd want one of those cars.

Those puppies however do have a low battery warning. Shows up right on the dashboard telling you so.
Waiving the right to remain silent, Evan Platt

My last BMW 5 series was like that, but as a leased car, I didn't have it long enough for the battery to die.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,