2006 Civic 38 mpg manual 40 mpg automatic?

Page 1 of 2
Honda's web site says the 2006 Civic gets EPA 38 mpg with the manual transmission and 40 mpg with the automatic.
What's "wrong" here?

A. Smith wrote:

nothing. the system's been programmed to shift for economy - after all, the ecu /does/ know how much gas is being injected. pretty simple.
jim beam wrote:

Right! I think you'll have a hard time getting lower mileage/gallon with a stick than an automatic on any of the new cars.
Remco

One more voice: In fact, this trend has been going on for several years. Many automatics have been trumping manual transmission cars for fuel economy, back to the mid/late 1990s or so, IIRC. "Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control" (VTEC) has been a big factor in this, IIRC.
Yes, I noticed this same thing with the mpg on my 05 CRV.
wrote

wrote

Automatics are far better than manuals all around these days. Computerized electronic controls trump human brains and muscles hands down.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Yea but how much shifting is done at highway seep? I saw this and I wonder is the gearing is different. I could not find the gear ratios. I bet that is the difference since they are both 5 speed trannys.
wrote

Computerized
2005 Civic manual transmission, for one, still beats the automatic version in city driving: Manual VTEC 32/37 Auto VTEC 31/38
The 2005Toyota Echo's manual still trumps the auto version in both city and highway driving: Manual 35/42 Auto 33/39
Source: www.fueleconomy.gov
There are of course explanations for this. The point is, it's not yet time to generalize and say all automatic trannies trump all manual trannies, as far as fuel mileage is concerned. They do not.
wrote>> > Automatics are far better than manuals all around these days.

Well, for the most part they do, even if it's not universal (yet).
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Nothing at all.
Modern automatics are astonishingly efficient. Manuals are subject to user ineptness.
I'd say about 99.999% of manual transmission users cannot shift as well as a modern computer-controlled automatic. And that includes me.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I noticed some automatics were getting better mpg than a manual - sometimes only for city or highway. Can't remember which.
They both have their good and bad points. I love the control and "fun factor" of the stick, as long as I'm not in heavy traffic. ie - D.C. or Manhattan. That only happens sometimes for me when I drive there. Still bought a '05 Accord LX 5-speed and love the 5-speed. It'll be a pain to sell later, I know - but don't plan to sell any time soon. Been averaging 27 mpg w/mostly city and some highway. Got over 34mpg round trip between Baltimore County and NYC last week. The trip was mostly 65-80 mph with the a/c on during most of the trip.
-Dave

I like my manual in any case. Just today I spent a half-hour blipping forwards a few feet at a time on the freeway to get past an accident. Better that than lose control the rest of the time with an automatic. Don't like trannies that change gear all by themselves...

Or the 405 in LA at rush hour(s)...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

This last sentence is quite the bizarre statement. Are you saying that you can't maintain care and control of a vehicle with an automatic transmission? If you're not saying that, what thought exactly are you trying to convey? {;^)
Brian

I think the sentiment is the same I have with automatic transmissions - they choose the gear they think is best, which isn't always suited to my purpose. It is more often a subjective thing than an objective thing, but the bottom line is that 100% of the time the manual tranny is in the gear I want while an automatic rates more like 90%... with the remaining 10% being annoying. I especially hate automatic shifts on slippery roads. It's like having a demon give your car a little *nudge* whenever he feels like it.
My job takes me off-road a lot (I describe the job as "taking computer age skills to the end of bronze age roads in any weather at any time"). Some of the roads are intense 4WD, others are miles-long sand pits. Some people don't mind automatics in their trucks, but I had to borrow a truck with an automatic once and I swore I'd never do that again. It upshifted when it wanted, not when I wanted.
To each their own.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

what vintage automatic truck was it and did it have electronic shift control? and how can it upshift when you have manual over-ride?

It was a 1993 Ford F-250, but I doubt the new ones are any better. Our department standard is manuals, both for ruggedness and control, but the guy who originally had the truck insisted on an automatic. He was pretty odd anyway. Automatics can be forced to downshift but (most) can't be forced to upshift. You can allow it to shift, but the actual upshift takes place when it's ready, not when you're ready.
I also can't stand the loss of being able to tell when the wheels are spinning by listening to the engine sound - but for those who never encounter mud, snow or ice it probably isn't a consideration.
I agree that automatics are nice for driving around town or on the highway in good conditions.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking your preference, but i don't understand the upshift bit. it /can't/ upshift if you're manually over-riding it. if you want it to shift "prematurely" for traction in snow or mug, it shouldn't matter once you're under way. and with the honda, you /do/ have the ability to pull away in "2", where first gear will not engage.

That's our confusion - my complaint is that they don't always upshift when the shifter is moved to allow it. Unless the lower gear has been held longer than the tranny would have held it, the tranny will wait until it thinks the shift should be made. Again, in good driving conditions it is a minor annoyance. In slippery conditions it is intolerable.
That truck I borrowed was the one I had when I was sent out in a snowstorm. The freeway was moving as much as 40 mph in sheltered areas and as little as 5 mph in the worst. Since downshifting is the same as braking as far as slippery roads are concerned, I wanted it to favor the highest practical gear. Instead, the only way I could control what it did was to select a lower gear than I wanted. More than once on upslopes I reached places where the conditions were worse and I eased off on the gas to finesse my way through. Instead the demon transmission took that as a sign to upshift, with the little *nudge*. With a manual I would have been in that gear a long time ago.
Mike

"each" is singular, therefore it's "to each his own".

Sorry - I were confused ;-)
Say... isn't that his/her own? Or (shades of the 70s) "thon's" own?
Mike