2006 Civic Faulty Radios

My new 06 Civic EX sedan developed poor radio reception not long after we got it. AM and FM radio reception is terrible compared to other vehicle in same location. AM radio will crackle & pop and the volume goes up and down while driving over a bumpy road. Dealership told me they have no service bulletins, but they did admit that they've replaced the rear window for one other 06 Civic owner with same complaint. They said it "fixed" the problem. Because of another problem, I've already had the speed sensor replaced on this new car and that didn't help the radio reception. (I thought maybe the SVC 'speed volume control' was messed up because of the faulty speed sensor). I am worried about what can go wrong if I get my window replaced, eg. leaks, damage. I think there is a bad connection somehwere, rather than a bad antenna inside the window glass. I've read Pablo's message tree from Feb. '06 re. his AM radio reception, but I can't find out if anything was resolved there. Anyone else with this problem or anyone have any ideas what it might be? Thanks. K.

Reply to
Kevin

Chi-town Civic

Yes I believe that was the first thing the dealership checked. They also said they could not "recreate" the reception and volume problems. Because my dealership replaced other customer's window for a similar complaint and they said that fixed it, the dealership is stuck on telling me that is all they are willing to try and do next for my complaint. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Thanks. K.

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Chi-town Civic

Reply to
Chi-town Civic

I know what you mean, but it seems so drastic, I find it hard to believe it will solve the problem. I have had exterior warranty repairs in the past that have caused more problems than the first one, (shhh... it was a new "Saturn" sedan mind you) so I am a little gun shy about the window approach. Thanks. K.

Reply to
Kevin

I have a simlar problem with my 2006 Civic, but it only affects the AM reception. FM is fine.

Here's what you should ask them to do: order the new window but before taking out the old one, have them connect the antenna wire to the new window and see if that improves the reception. If not, tell them not to put it in and to continue looking for the real problem. At least that way you don't have them taking the old one out for no reason. I agree with you. I wouldn't want them doing such a "repair" unless I knew it was going to fix the problem. When the dealers mess with a car, it increases the chance of something wrong, i.e. they screw something up.

Reply to
na

Good idea but he says dealer cannot duplicate poor reception so it might not work.

Reply to
Art

I'm surpised then that they would even offer to replace the window. Usually they're pretty stuborn about having to "verify" the customer's complaint before swapping parts.

Reply to
na

Here's an update: I took the car in for it's first oil change last week and took a service person for a road test. The radio did not act up. However, because I believe I am persistent, a repeat customer and that other members of my family use this same delearship (which has the best reputation of the 4 area delearhips), they are quite happy to believe me. And because the dealership had no further complaints after replacing the rear window for another owner with the same complaint as me, they are going to order the window for me and replace mine soon. I am currently waiting for the window and I can't seem to argue with their logic. While driving home after the oil change, however, the radio crackled and hissed while I was driving uphill on a smooth road. Go figure. K

Reply to
Kevin

Excellent, this is how it should be. The dealer apparently has Honda's support for doing the reasonable thing given all the circumstances. Many companies and dealers take a prove it attitude which allienates customers. Honda and your dealer are demonstrating that they are worthy of the loyalty you and your family continue to place with them.

Smart business people taking the long view. Wow, how refreshing!

John

Reply to
John Horner