2006 Civic Fuel Mileage

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have any real world numbers for their 2006 Civic fuel mileage?
The brochure says 8.2L/100km city and 5.7L/100km highway. I'm averaging 9.2 ('06 Civic LX - A/T). I even changed my driving habits to try and conserve
fuel.
What's everyone else getting?
Steve
Just made a 7000 mile trip from Los Angeles to Michigan via I-70 and I-80, 2006 Civic EX 5 speed manual transmission and 9000 miles on engine at 70 -75 mph. The gas mileage was between 36 and 40 mpg. In city driving before the trip I got 36 mpg. Wed, 31 May 2006 01:08:34

36mpg is 6.5L/100km. Maybe there is something wrong with my car.

It might also depend on where you live and how you drive. We own 3 cars and the best one, a '97 Toyota Corolla DX 1.8 auto, gets approximately 9.5L/100km city and around 7L/100km highway (at 120-140 km/h).

Also, there is 1500km on my car. I live on the coast. Have to let it break in first. ;)
Steve

I have never been so disappointed in a car as I am with my brand new Civic 06 EX. I had owned two Accords prior to this one and took the chance at going a step down to the Civic in order to try and combat the local $3.35 gas prices here in Southern California. Well, the only time I get the stated mileage is when I am in open freeway with no air conditioning on. At that time I get about 40mpg. Turn the air on though and my mileage drops to about 28mpg. Combine that with stop and go traffic and I am lucky to get 26. So, essentially I am averaging about the same as I was with the Accord.
With the Accords I have owned I consistently got between 28 and 33 no matter what kind of conditions, air on or not. Whatsmore, the air conditioning on the Civic leaves a lot to be desired and the AM radio sounds like people are talking into a wet rag.
I do like the design of the Civic, I do like the slightly smaller build, it IS a rather peppy car for its engine size, and I just love the navigation system, but I have never regretted a car purchase in all my 45 years of driving until this one. I WISH I had my Accord back!

You have to factor in that CA has mostly changed to year-round E15. This knocks down mileage about 10%.
Well that doesn't explain why the Civic really isn't getting any better mileage for me than the Accord did. It does in ONLY one instance...open freeway with no air conditioner on..something's not right!

My '97 Civic got 26 in town (EPA 33 if I remember right) - my '04 Civic Hybrid gets 33 summer 34 winter in town (epa 48), really pathetic huh?

Well, I don't know..it is so unpredictable. Today I filled up and put in 4 gallons after having gone 140 miles with the air on most of the time, so maybe I am seeing an improvement..I sure hope so.

I have about 4700 miles on my '06 Civic EX and I get, consistently, 35 mpg on highway driving about 75 mph. The tach is at about 2500 rpm all the time. When driving 65, the tach is at 2000 rpm. Mixed driving drops it to about 32 mpg.
I wish the highway was better, but I guess if I would slow down a bit, I would get better mileage.
I just wish the gas tank was at least 15 gal instead of the 13.2. That would add considerable mileage to each tank full.

Yup, that's about the mileage I seem to be seeing lately, about 35 highway, 32 mixed. I can get closer to 40 on the highway if I pay attention to my speed and baby the accelerator, but only with no traffic at all and no air conditioner on.
I was thinking the same thing this morning about the fuel tank. I wish it was about 15 gallons.

Just as an information:
My 1996 Civic gives me 32~35mpg in city during this Summer. Last winter (Waterloo, Canada) it was 25~28mpg.
Jay A wrote:

So far, 1874kms on the LX's odometer, three tanks of gas, here's the numbers:
9.4L/100km = 25 USMPG 9.0L/100km = 26.1 USMPG 9.7L/100km = 24.4 USMPG
Steve

Yes, as a matter of fact I do drive with the A/C on. I do realize that the A/C comes on with the defrost, however, previous vehicles I have owned did not have such an impact on the fuel economy and I didn't expect this one to be any different.
I have slightly changed my habit and now crack the window rather than having the A/C on. Let's see what happens.
Steve
Just bought a New Civic Ex here in Canada
Made the long trip across two provinces with air on one way and in a driving rain the other plus about a 100 kms in the city. Car is Brand new 285 kms when we left got 47.6 mpg Canadian. rated at 50 can't complain both me and my wife drove and both drove at 105-112 kms per hour.

WTF is that. Use a number people use, like L/100km or USMPG.

I guess "47.6 mpg Canadian" is what USMPG is. MPG can not be different in Canada than in the US.

It can be different as the OP is probably talking Imperial gallon as opposed to US gallon.
ExtremeValue wrote:

Actually, it is. It's Imperial gallons. Multiply by 0.8 to get U.S. gallons, which in this case would be about 38.8 mpg(U.S.).