2006 Civic Hybrid?

I'm considering purchasing a Civic Hybrid for a family member. Does anybody have any real-word reports on economy? Drivability?
Any thoughts on Civic vs. Prius?
Thanks!
Bill
We test drove both the Civic and Prius. Both were too small for us and we ended up with an Accord hybrid. Consumer Reports just rated the Civic. Check it out at your local library. They loved it though the Prius has better gas mileage.

I have driven both the Civic hybrid and the Prius. They differ in how they approach the concept of "hybrid". The civic is a partial hybrid. It runs on a smaller engine and kicks in the electric motor when conditions require, i.e. going up the hill. The Prius is a total hybrid in that it runs on the battery and uses the gas engine to charge the battery and/or compliment the electric motor. Both cars charge a hefty price for the hybrid system. Bottom line I bought the conventional 2006 Civic for $17,500 as opposed to the Civic hybrid for some $22,000. There is tax credit you can take on the Civic for around $2,000. So you can see even then the cost delta significant. This is of course is just MHO.

no, there's no such thing as a "partial" or "total" hybrid.
There are parallel and series hybrids, though. Honda's is a serial hybrid, while Toyota's is a parallel hybrid.
But they are both hybrids. One isn't better than the other; they're just different. One isn't more completely a hybrid than the other, either.
Concerning the "driveability" of the civic hybrid, I have an 05 civic, and find it wonderful in its handling, acceleration and so on. As far as mpg, the average is about 39-41, as I haven't gone on any really long trips. This is at the 3500 mile point on the odometer.

I get about 33 around town with CVT transmission. I'm particularly happy with driveability around town in stop and go traffic. The car is just too herky-jerky for my liking. Honda went to a lot of trouble to make the CVT trans "seem" more like a standard automatic transmission by using elaborate clutch controls. But they fall short of the simulation, thus the herky-jerky nature when starting from a stop.
If you're not going to drive this car; make sure the person who is drives it before you buy.
ElAlumbrado wrote:

-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

I assume you meant to say, "unhappy."

That is unfortunate and surprising. One would think that a hybrid linked to a CVT would be the ultimate in smoothness. Sounds like the programming needs to be rethunk.
I think his problem is that the engine turns off when you stop in traffic. There is complete silence. When you take your foot off the brake it starts the engine and you feel that. My wife's Accord Hybrid does the same. The silence is enjoyable. The startup is annoying. It kinds of evens out. But the Prius system probably makes more sense.

I own a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid with the CVT and it is the smoothest car I've ever driven. Seamless.
Yes, I meant unhappy.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

-- Tp,
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
Please see my post on 02/21/06 related to the 2006 Civic Hybrid fuel economy. Dave