2006 civic real mileage?

Anybody have some input on some real mileage figures for the 06 civic? be sure to mention transmission type and city/hwy breakdown.

T L via CarKB.com

T L via CarKB.com

None have been broken in yet.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

First tank of gas got 19.8 mpg local driving. 2nd tank got about 25 mpg local driving, and mileage is still improving. looks like im closer to 30 now locally. i havent driven many highway miles yet. i picked up the car with 9 miles on it and have about 400 now. ex sedan.

"T L via CarKB.com" wrote in news:5624ed56c0bfe@uwe:

Reply to
Rich

The claim is for 40 mpg for the automatic and less for the manual. Given that it is a a 140 hp I4 1.8, I question that. I use an 03 Civic LX 5 spd as a commuter with about 60% of the driving on I75 getting around 38-39 per gallon which is close to the EPA estimate. The 03 LX has only 115 hp and is a 1.7 ltr. My 01 Prelude. on the other hand, gets around 26-27 for the same type of driving -- I ration myself to about 3 VTEC bursts a trip that runs around 50 miles total.

Reply to
TWW

Are you suggesting that more power and size make an engine less fuel efficient. If so, I don't buy that. Just because the engine is 100cc larger and 25hp more powerful than the '05 doesn't automatically make the '06 less fuel efficient. The 1.8 litre is an all new engine.

My folks have a Toyota Corolla with a 130hp 1.8 litre engine. On a recent trip, it got 40mpg. And that is with a 4-speed automatic. Given that the '06 Civic can be had with a 5-speed automatic, that should make for slightly improved mileage on the highway over the '05. Therefore, I believe that the '06 Civic should be able to get AT LEAST 40mpg on the highway.

A Prelude probably has more weight than a Civic. That extra weight contributes to increased fuel consumption.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

So you're saying that your 03 LX will always get better mileage than the

06 models (all using the same 1.8l engine)?

Let me think about this. First, the 06 engines are more advanced than yours--which means better gas mileage, regardless that they are 1.8l and

140hp.

Secondly, I think you're saying that since the auto is claimed at 40mpg, it cannot--by virtue of being an automatic transmission--get better mileage than the manual transmission. While that may have been true before, Honda is now saying that it's no longer true. And I believe them. They have every incentive to make the automatic trans version of the Civic as fuel efficient as possible, because it is their bread and butter of fuel efficient cars.

And they've succeeded. Your 03 is, technologically speaking, now a dinosaur. It can't do with 1.7 liters, 115hp, and a manual transmission what a new Civic can do with 1.8 leters, 140hp, and an automatic transmission.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Perhaps you are right. It will be interesting to see if the mileage is what they claim. If so, you will have the best of all worlds -- a car with good performance and excellent gas mileage. Certainly, it outdoes the old Accords with 130 hp and 2.2 ltrs.

Reply to
TWW