2006 Civic road noise?

Page 1 of 2
Hi.
Consumer Reports listed "road noise" as one of the "cons" about the 2006 Civic (even though they gave it their highest overall rating). Can any
anyone out there share their first hand experiences? I am interested in this car, but I do want a quiet car. Thanks.
Not as quiet as Accord but better than Mazda 3, that's my observation.
The car CR reported on may of had performance tires. They tend to howl a bit. They are a harder rubber. Inquire as to what tires on the vehicle you are interested in.

Most performance tires I have seen and driven on were made of a softer compound.
Harry Face wrote:

Odd to see you here at the Honda site, HF. I thought you were a Bonneville junkie.

Road noise is generally caused by the tires, especially if the tires are the least bit aggressive. Most Hondas come with all-weather tires. Check with the dealer to see if a low cost swap off is available when you buy the car.
In any case, test drive a similar car. Consumer Reports may have gotten one that annoyed that particular set of drivers. Take their rating and nit-picking with a grain of salt.
--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

We test drove the hybrid and bought an Accord hybrid based on size and features. Noise was not an issue so I suspece Civic was reasonable.

If you want something quieter, Toyota Corolla would be the way to go, but a little boring to drive.
NowItsWhatever wrote:

My 06 Civic EX is quite a bit quieter than the Mazda 3 I test drove. Road noise levels vary a great deal with the type of pavement I'm covering. On secondary (but paved) roads, it's pretty noisy, but on most smoother types of pavement, it's a very quiet little car.
The EX comes with Bridgestones. Not sure of the model of tire. (Firenza or something like that).
Some wind noise as well, and I'd rather have zero wind noise, but it's not objectionable. I just notice that it's there, since I just paid 20k for it...
I agree. I have an 05 Civic EX, and it's quiet compared to my 89 Nissan truck. ;
I looked at Corolla's and just found them to feel "cheap" compared to the Civic EX.

Quiet is all relative unless you can measure it in dB's and some folks interpret low frequency vibration as noise, though it may be too low (frequency) to be audible. Here is my observation, and I am a Vibration Analyst by trade in the power generation industry. I have a 06' Civic with 4500 miles. I drive 120 per day. It is DAMN quiet. It has nearly no wind noise at 70/75 and if you don't pay attention you can go 100 before you know it. It also gets a CONSISTANT 35-38 mpg. I also love the highly controversial instrument panel layout.
There are too many so called "critics" out there that want to think they are "Objective", but just want to bitch and tear something down. This is my first Honda, not with standing dirt bikes and four wheelers. But in typical Honda tradition, it kicks ass. I read CR as well and honestly couldn't figure how it got low marks in that category. Every day I get in I am glad I got a Honda and not some other POS.
Just my 2 cents...
"Pablo" wrote

I agree with you. And, people are going to be variable in their sensitivity to various frequency ranges, as you allude. For example the crickets here in the desert southwest aren't really loud, but they make my brain rattle. They're just at that frequency that about kills me.

I have an 06 Civic LX and an 04 odyssey exl....
believe it or not the Civic is quieter than the Odyssey by a lot. That said, the Odyssey has always been kind of noisy. I have a Suburban too and it is MUCH quieter than either Honda. So it depends on your tolerance.

Tire tread patterns can cause more or less noise;the directional "V" tread tire generates less noise than tires with a regular tread pattern.Listen to a big pickup truck with knobby off-road tires! You can hear them coming from 100s of feet away,if not more.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I just bought a 2006 Civic Hybrid. It is substantially quieter than my 2004 Si or my wife's 2003 Civic LX.
I also saw that review and wondered where the reviewer was coming from. In my opinion, this is a very quiet and civilized car. Then again, I have seen the 2006 Civic Hybrid described as "jerky" in it's acceleration and driveability. I wonder what planet some of these reviewers are coming from. Personally, I don't want to drive a Cadillac or Buick marshmallow.
Just my 2 cents.
We test drove the 2006 Civic Hybrid before buying the 2005 Accord Hybrid. I think both could be described as jerky. When the engine is off because your foot is on the brake and you lift the foot you do get a bit of a jerk. Nothing bad but it is different. Driving the Accord 2005 kind of reminds me of certain carnival rides.

thats called gravity. Put on your ebrake before taking your foot off of the brake and problem will be solved

Relative to other small cars, it is rather quiet. It is not a Buick or other outstandingly quiet cars, but it is quite nice. Also, noise is relative to a lot of factors, including tyres and road conditions. Try it out and see for yourself.