2006 CRV EX 4WD: Chirping sound from left wheel over bumps

Hi, 52,000 miles. This became obvious yesterday. It may have been happening for a while because it literally sounds like a bird chirping. But, it got louder in the past day or so if it was already happening. I did wack a recessed manhole cover the night before with the left wheel, but the impact didn't seem excessive enough to be concerned about.

It will happen going 5mph over, say, pothole patches or driveway entrances, that kind of thing. Any ideas?

The more I read, the more I keep seeing lower ball joint...which is why I'm driving a lot slower :) I do have an appt with the dealer (this isn't under warranty).

If ball joint is the diagnosis, can just the one knuckle be replaced or do they have to be replaced in pairs?

Know any good independent shops for that around Albany, NY?

tia RW

Reply to
Rich Weed

Rich Weed wrote in news:Xns9DC3E62096BDAijliJOIjOIjo5tr9trp3@69.16.186.8:

Balljoints can be replaced in the same knuckle. Some knuckles are constructed so as to allow just one replacement. Yours might be one of those, I'm not sure. Nobody replaces entire knuckles because a balljoint needs to be changed unless the knuckle is the "one time" type, and the "one time" has already passed.

It is not absolutely necessary to replace balljoints in pairs, but it's a good idea: if one is going, the others won't be far behind.

But I don't think the noise you're hearing is the balljoint. It could be the spring working against its seat, a bent damper piston, something like that.

You're better off going to the dealer for this unless a /very/ knowledgeable independent can be found.

Reply to
Tegger

My 2003 CRV also has a hiping sound, like trapped budgie! I don't think its the wheel though, and have not isolated if its only over bumps, sounds like it comes from somwhere inside the cab or engine bay. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Zolan D'Arth