2006 Honda accord with low gas mileage. 20MPG? Anyone else?

Hello, I purchased a 2006 Honda Accord LX-E leftover and the gas mileage is not much better than my lincoln town car!. I've been driving the car
for a few months and finally tried to calculate it. The tank is 17 Galons, I filled it to the top. Then I drove until I was on E again, 280 miles. I filled the tank up and put 13.9 Gallons in it. I figure 280/13.9 MPG. It was supposed to be 27 City, 32 Hwy. Anyone else see these type of numbers? Drives and handles great, only problem is this MPG. Thanks.
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

If it's a leftover, then I assume it is actually "new" and needs to be broken in.
Also...
Is this city, highway or mixed?
What are your driving habits like? Aggressive or easy-going?
How are the tire pressures?
It's a mix, mostly suburban but we have a lot of stop-n-go too.
It's only two months old so I haven't checked the tires yet, only 1200 miles on it (3 miles on it when I bought it). My wife drives the car, she is kind of a fast driver, she refers to the car as her "zippy" car.
High Tech Misfit wrote:

I wouldn't get too excited. This 'break-in' stuff is pure BS. I have 13000kms on my '06 Civic and the fuel mileage can only be described as horrible. I agree that the advertised mileage is unachievable for any vehicle, however, other family members that have recenlty purchased '06 GM vehicles are getting a number almost halfway between the advertised "city" number and the advertised "highway" number as their average.
The advertisements for the '06 Civic, IIRC, are 5.7 L/100km HWY and 8.2 L/100km CITY. Right now my total average is 9.1. Over the last four tanks, my mileage has dropped to slightly over 10L/100km and one tank hit 11L/100km. Our '92 Accord EX averaged 11!
Here's my mileage from every tank of fuel (in USmpg) since the car was brand spankin' new, see how there is no "break-in" period when it comes to mileage? Anyway, car is going into the shop tomorrow because there is definatly something wrong.
25.0 26.1 24.4 25.7 26.6 24.4 23.1 26.1 26.8 32.2 31.0 23.1 25.6 35.8 29.0 34.1 24.1 27.4 24.9 25.3 24.2 24.4 28.9 25.0 24.2 27.2 23.3 23.0 21.4 23.1
Steve
wrote:

is
car
else
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Ah ha! If you put your foot into it the Accord can certainly burn plenty of fuel, especially if you have the V-6.
John
Yeah, but this is a 4 cyl.
If I knew I would have gotten 18, I probably would have bought her a bigger car, but she has this thing about fuel consumption. I drive a lincoln town car that has a large V-8 and it gets 18 MPG around town; and it's 6 years old.
John Horner wrote:

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 21:55:03 -0800, snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I get better mileage in my '06 Si, and I drive it like it was meant to be quite often (which is hard and fast). I average about 26, and on long trips have gotten 33, which is over the EPA estimate and that was doing 80 for most of the trip...
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Our '03 V-6 Accord can return low 20s fuel economy when we use it in short trip grocery-getter mode. Highway economy ranges from 26-30 mpg depending upon speeds and conditions.
John

My wife's 2005 Civic EX 5 speed coupe was EPA 32/38. She gets 25 mpg driving around town (lots of 1st and 2nd) and 35 mpg on the road at 70+ mph. She drives it agressively !
Her 1997 Civic EX 5 speed coupe was the same way.
Lynn
Lynn McGuire wrote:

My 2004 Civic LX automatic averaged 40mpg on a recent 350 mile stretch, mostly on the highway doing 55-65mph.
Is this Accord a V6? or a itec 4?
Johnny
--
Drink It. Feel It. Share It.
http://www.mymonavie.com/janos

I've had the exact opposite experience with my 2006 Accord. I've never gotten less than 30mpg, and I've gotten as high as 35mpg when I do all highway driving. Really, no kidding!
Mine is the 4 cyl, Automatic Transmission.
I'm thinking it's mostly the driving habits of whoever's driving. On our 2003 Accord V6, there's a big difference depending on how its driven. Normally, driving calmly with my wife, with a light steady foot on the gas, we are consistantly getting low 20's in local driving(low speed, some stop and go) and 31-32 on our trip to visit our son(275-300 miles), nearly all highway--no lights, steady 70 mph execept last few miles when we get into a city with traffic lights. But, occasionally when I'm driving by myself, and feel the urge to accelerate rapidly on the expressway, punch the pedal when traffic lights turn green etc. (just for the feeling) I'm embarassed to say how much lower the mileage is.
Ken
snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I'd first average over five refills, because the pump shutoffs are uneven and can be a gallon or so early.
Note this is 10-15% ethonal season which lowers mileage about 10% in my experience. Some of the more modern engines detect ethonal and optimize engine parameters, but I dont think Honda's do.
2006 Accord EX-L
- - 60% City - - 40% Highway ( ~20 Miles at a time ) => about 28 MPG
Occasional long trips ( > 200 Mi ) => about 33 MPG
I also have kept meticulous records re: gas purchases etc. over the 10K miles I have had car.
Steve
99 accord EX (4 cyl / auto)
80% hwy 20% city = 28-30 mpg
wrote:

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com
There are 2 drive setting on the Honda, if she was useing D3 and nor D it would explain the low milage.
On 14 Nov 2006 06:41:30 -0800, "snoopy snipped-for-privacy@excite.com"

Jim wrote:

Are you sure tank is only 17 gal? Not 20 gal?
I have been tracking my mileage since September of this year and am averaging 21.17 MPG. Granted mine is an '05 but there's not that much different