2007 Accord Engine Oil Recommendation

Why does Honda recommend 5W-20 oil instead of 5W-30?

--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

On 7/31/2010 7:39 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

    That's what the engines were designed to have used in them.

Why? Are you thinking you need 5W-30?
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

No, its their engine and if they say 5W-20 then that is what I shall use exclusively. Just wondering why.
--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:39:47 -0400, Jim_Higgins wrote:

I wondered too and asked the dealer. He said bearing tolerances. I wouldnt take any chances for the small diff in price. I even spring for the Honda filter since you only need to chg the oil once a year and filter every 20 months

the dealer lied. it was done to lower fleet fuel consumption. most experts say 5-30 is still fine too, but in most climates there is no good reason to not use 5-20.
Jim_Higgins wrote:

Likely the same reason ford did it. to reduce fuel consumption, but whatever small margin that might be??
I'm sure 5w30 still would work fine... in fact i'm sure 10w30 would still work fine

check www.bobistheoilguy.com to find out how oil viscosity changes with use. in other words, the 5W20 that you put into the engine won't measure 5W20 when your mileage minder says its time for an oil change. I've been using Mobil 1 in various weights but most often 0W30 or 5W30. I put 250K on my last engine which is still running well for its new owner. changing the oil/filter on schedule and keeping the oil level at "full" are more important than finding 5W20, IMHO.
On 8/3/2010 9:08 AM, ACAR wrote:

    It's not difficult to *find* 5W20 oil these days. Back when I purchased my 2001 Accord, not even the dealer had 5W20 in stock. It had to be ordered in, pretty stupid non-planing, if you ask me.
ACAR wrote:

I second the mobil one synthetic
all i run now.