2007 Honda CRV won't hold a charge

Page 1 of 2
The dealer is towing it in for the 3rd time today. If we go 2 or 3 days without driving the vehicle, the battery is low enough that it will not crank the engine. The first two times they found no problem and just
charged the battery. The last time the dealer had it he checked for discharge and he replaced the battery.
We have turned all the interior lights and everything off so it is not an open door. This is getting a little old.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:13:28 +0000, Nada Chance wrote:

Obviously a bad alternator. Make sure they replace it.

Not necessarily a bad alternator. Any defective part in the electrical system could be causing the problem. Static current needs to be checked as well as the total charging system. Unfortunately Honda mechanics are parts replacers and do not know how to diagnose electrical systems. Also this problem has showed many times with third party attachments. Any audio, security systems etc installed? Very often a problem.

Every thing is honda installed. No add-ons.

Don't know if its a problem on the '07, but on my '06 the light in the glove box does not always go off when the box is closed. It would take a pretty long time for that one little bulb to run down the battery, but it still might be worth a look.
On 11/26/07 5:43 PM, in article zSI2j.1840$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com,

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:16:49 +0000, Woody wrote:

Yeah, yeah. It's a bad alternator. Bet on it.
A: Because it destroys the logical flow of a thread of comments, and makes it difficult to keep up with a conversation.
Q: Why do so many people object to top posting?
A: Writing your reply to a message above what you are referring to rather than below it.
Q: What is "top posting"?

I like top posters. Otherwise I have to scroll down to read every message.

Me too. Not to mention the fact that every modern newsreader I have encountered in the past couple of years defaults to top posting for replies.
I think it is simply a resurgence of the same anal retentive flaming that went on a decade ago when there were a few who still had their original teletype terminals and went ballistic whenever anyone didn't cut all the previous discussion in his comments.
As far as the "A: Q: A: Q:" below. That is not top posting either. A top post expresses a new thought completely, but above the previous discussion. Think of it as a push down stack.
On 11/27/07 10:45 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Art"

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:43:23 -0500, Woody wrote:

Typical Outhouse Excuse poster. Completely clueless, and stupid to boot.
FOAD.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:45:48 -0500, Art wrote:

See my response to the other ignoramus. It applies to you, also.

On 11/27/2007 1:29 PM Dan C spake these words of knowledge:

Jeez. If you've been around long enough to understand the benefits of bottom posting and/or interspersed posting, you should be able to grasp that you cannot educate or otherwise change the mind of those who don't or won't get it.
Give it a rest.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Dying is no excuse. Nixon in 2008.

Dan C wrote:

No, the power coupling on the negative axis has been polarized. Very common on CVR's.
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:20:34 +0100, Frode Hansen wrote:

The "power coupling on the negative axis", huh?
Did you learn that at Space Camp, or at a Star Trekkie sleepover?

Dan C wrote:

Bad attempt at humor, sorry (it's Star Wars btw).
I think you're probably right. If it was an older car, I guess one could try to use a multimeter and measure the flow of current over the different curcuits in the fuse box - and search on from there, but with a 2007 CRV it should not be the owners problem, but the dealership's. A current that empties a car battery in 2 days should be possible to measure and locate.

and the response(big lie) from the Honda service person was totally unacceptable and should be reported to the proper Honda representative.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Dan C wrote:

Hi, How can you be so definitive? It could be an old battery, it could be the alternator, it could be regulator(imbedded in alternator), it could be simple loose connection or leakagy or something is drawing current. How old is the battery?
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:15:00 +0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

Did you read the subject line? It's a *2007* vehicle. How old do you think the battery is?
He said it's been into the dealer's service department already (twice). A loose connection would have been found.
That leaves what? That's right. The alternator.

Spoke to the service manager today re: my wife's '07 Odyssey that I posted about elsewhere in this thread...
He said he has seen a bad batch of relays. They stick in the closed position leaving power on to various systems in the car and that might be the cause that is draining the battery so fast.
He is picking the car up from my wife's office on Friday to check/replace the relays in question as well as put a new battery in A) just in case it is a faulty battery and B) it could eventually die a premature death from having been run flat a few times already.

what is it with Honda and bad relays? (the infamous "main relay"!!)
I wonder what manufacturer made that batch in your 07?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Dan C wrote:

Hi, Age aside, a battery can have a internal electrode short, one cell dead, broken connection inside, etc. Most weakness amongst auto mechanics is a lack of good knowledge in electronics/electricity. Old grease monkeys just don't cut it nowadays. Still you can't blame alternator outright. As a retired EE, I always managed to solve electrical problems on my fleet of family cars/truck. So far I never ran into a mechanic who impressed me as far as electrical problem is concerned.