2007 Odyssey

I have a new Odyssey that has given us 15 mpg in the city and only 20 mpg on a 250 mile trip. The ECO light was on most of the way as we were on cruise control on the highway.
This seems to be poor mileage to me. What are the rest of you getting?
jsfinch

We get about 23mpg on the highway which is actually pretty good for a van. How loaded up was the van (cargo) and what method are you using to compute MPG?
John Finch wrote:

I get 24 mpg/30 highway with a 2003 Odyssey that doesn't have any ECO function (Scangauge II), but I cheat a bit.
Tips: 1. Coast more. 2. AC/heat off 3. Raise pressure in tires 4. Take seats out and carry nothing you don't absolutely need. 5. Drive slower, or try to settle right at the speed at which the transmission settles into the next highest gear. (28mph and 48mph for an '03) 6. Cruise control if you are jerky with the throttle.
Things you shouldn't do: 1. Drive close behind large vehicles. 2. Raise pressures too close to the maximum rating on the tires. 3. Live in a hilly area.
-- Phil
That sounds a little low but only by 2 mpg. With suburbian driving on my 2006 I get about 17 mpg. Add some highway and I get 19 or more in the mix of suburb and highway. On the highway everyone is going about 75 miles per hour. Or faster. Including me. To keep up.
I have a new Odyssey that has given us 15 mpg in the city and only 20 mpg on a 250 mile trip. The ECO light was on most of the way as we were on cruise control on the highway.
This seems to be poor mileage to me. What are the rest of you getting?
jsfinch

We get around 19 in town and 22 - 23 on the highway. Our highway trips tend to be fully loaded, i.e., the 5 of us and luggage for a long week- end or week, and frequently a car-top carrier. My previous van, a '99 Ford Windstar, got about 15 around town and 19 on the highway, so I'm happy. I didn't buy the van looking for stellar mileage, just reasonable, which I think we ge, considering the size, weight and power.
I wonder if the local mileage would be better without the transmission down-shifting? Probably only marginally.
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
I was going 70 on the highway with the A/C on. Nothing in the van but myself and wife.
I guess I have been spoiled by my 2003 Olds Silhouette van. We got 28 mpg on the road doing the same kind of driving.
jsfinch
-- e <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have a new Odyssey that has given us 15 mpg in the city and</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>only 20 mpg on a 250 mile trip.&nbsp; The ECO light was on most of the way</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>as we were on cruise control on the highway.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This seems to be poor mileage to me.&nbsp; What are the rest of you getting?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>jsfinch</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
If the vehicle is brand new, wait awhile. It has been my experience that the fuel economy will improve with mileage until somewhere between 5k and 10k miles.
How are you measuring your fuel economy - on board fuel computer? If you are calculating it based on miles driven divided by fuel purchased, you need to calculate the average over a longer period. Single tank averages are notorioulsy inaccurate. It is my opinion that you need to calculate the average over at least 3 tank fulls (40 to 50 gallons).
The mileage you reported is a little less that reported in the Consumer Reports road test:
CR's overall mileage, mpg 19 CR's city/highway, mpg 12 / 28 CR's 150-mile trip, mpg 23
I'd suggest checking the odometer (against a measured mile, GPS, or a long run of Insterstate mile markers). Make sure the tires are at the correct pressure. Where are you located? Did you buy oxygenated fuel (E5 to E15) or some other "special" enviromental friendly blend?
Regards,
Ed White ----- Original Message ----- From: John Finch Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 12:55 PM Subject: Re: 2007 Odyssey
I was going 70 on the highway with the A/C on. Nothing in the van but myself and wife.
I guess I have been spoiled by my 2003 Olds Silhouette van. We got 28 mpg on the road doing the same kind of driving.
jsfinch
-- e face="Times New Roman">...<BR>I have a new Odyssey that has given us 15 mpg in the city and<BR>only 20 mpg on a 250 mile trip.&nbsp; The ECO light was on most of the way<BR>as we were on cruise control on the highway.<BR><BR>This seems to be poor mileage to me.&nbsp; What are the rest of you getting?<BR><BR>jsfinch </FONT><BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
The vehicle IS new. I have probably about 2,000 miles on it.
I filled the tank before the trip and reset the tripometer. After the trip I filled the tank again and noted the gallons used. Then divided the gallons into the miles driven. I don't have the on board fuel computer.
I have only taken this one road trip. I have noted, using the same procedure, the in-town driving mileage and it has been in the 15 to 17 mpg range.
I live in the Kansas City area. I buy COSTCO regular generally. I only use regular unleaded fuel.

Try this: run your tank out as low as you dare, then for the next 5 tanks run nothing but Shell 87 octane.
On the fifth tank, see what your mileage is.
http://www.toptiergas.com