2009 Accord - Bad rear brakes?

Page 1 of 2
I have had rumors of 2008s having premature wear on rear brakes. Does the 2009 have any signs of this too?

I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about 17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K. The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of your braking will be with the rear wheels. don't worry both front and rear brake pads are easy to change for both maybe only 1.5hrs.

I have a 2008' Accord 2.4l and i had to put on new rear pads at about 17K, just today i had to do the same with the front at 31K. The service adviser at a dealership told told that in 2006' Honda has changed the way the braking system works so that the most power of your braking will be with the rear wheels. don't worry both front and rear brake pads are easy to change for both maybe only 1.5hrs.
I replaced my rears on a 06 I4 coupe at 53k. The fronts are still OK.
tww1491 wrote:

I had to replace the front pads on my '04 Civic last year at 46k. Rears are drums and are still fine. Honda brake pads do seem to be wearing more quickly than they used to, from what I've been reading.

I've been hanging around Usenet since about 1999. Reports of inadequate rear disc brake pad life have been around at least as long.
Areas with regularly bad weather (such as the Peoples' Republic of Canada) have the worst pad life problems.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

What? He's talking through his hat.
On a FWD car the fronts do about 80% of the braking. Unless Honda has found a way to repeal the laws of physics, it shall ever be thus.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Agree completely. We used to claim that the only reason for a rear brake pedal or handle on a motorcycle was to illuminate the rear stop light. However, perhaps the op misunderstood the service adviser. He may have been refering to the way in which the proportioning valve was set up. That is more power sent to the rear brakes than to the fronts. I can not fathom why Honda engineers would even consider such a stunt. More likely, the service adviser was trying to mollify an unhappy customer who had just had his brake pads replaced at low mileage .....Maybe????
DaveD
In article

memories of the Polish tank joke--one forward speed, six reverse.
The ignoramus at your dealership doesn't understand simple physics. Unless Honda is flat-out stopping the front brakes from engaging, the weight shift is to the front and the fronts will take the brunt of it.
No way around it.

Quick and simple test for anyone who rides a bicycle:
Get the bike up to some kind of reasonable speed. Now squeeze only the REAR brake hard. (Let go quick so the resulting skid doesn't slam you onto the pavement.)
Now do the same thing again, but this time squeeze only the FRONT brake hard. See the difference? Car brakes and weight transfer behave identically to this.
Practical physics at work in a most abundantly convincing way!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Just eyeballing it, but the rear discs seem to have a smaller diameter -- at least on my 06. That coupled with "softer" pads could be the reason for rears having to be replaced before the fronts. For my part, I was not distressed that my rears lasted 53k. On the other hand, our 03 Pilot had to have both front and rear replaced at 73k or so. So it would appear that the wear was pretty equal in this case.
On 9/11/09 6:44 AM, in article bIqqm.26311$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.iad, "tww1491"

I see the same thing with my old Odyssey ('96) and with the '06 CRV. Both have four wheel disks, both have the parking brake set up with a separate drum inside the rear hub and both wear all four pads pretty evenly. The Odyssey needed its first pad change at 96k miles. The CRV is currently at 45k and is nowhere near needing anything brake-wise.
Earl The #1 Love Muscle and slow rider wrote:

so, you're not returning to that dealer then i assume? because you shouldn't give money to retards.
personally, if a dealer told me that, i'd note the service adviser's name, then call honda usa's customer service line and tell them that an idiot has slipped through the training net, with that name and dealer details. it's a fundamental customer service problem that reflects badly on the honda brand - they'll take care of it.

They're rumors only. There are no special problems with that model's rear brakes. Don't worry about it.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Hate pads on the back. I am glad my Accord has drums.
Clete wrote:

Oh don't start this again!
;0)
Tegger wrote:

On a related note, Tegger, do you know of a good brand/supplier (Canadian if possible) for upgraded disks/pads/callipers for Hondas? My 02 Accord is nearing some brake work and I want to investigate options...

I have yet to encounter any aftermarket brake pads or rotors that equal OEM in quality. All the aftermarket I've tried have ended up with some sort of problem that made them inferior to OEM (noise, rust, blued rotors, poor fit, etc.).
However, I have never tried aftermarket parts that cost MORE than OEM. Those might be better than other aftermarket.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

i recently fitted akebonos for a friend. they're a good quality pad. i'd still use genuine honda on my own car, especially as the prices are in line with cheapo imitations, but akebono seem ok.
Tegger wrote:

Thanks! I was thinking of something like an upgrade from OEM, less fade, more gription - not a cost saving exercise. The only name in brakes I know is "Brembo".
a wrote:

you might be disappointed, depending on your real objective. some aftermarket pads are terrible for fade. and i mean almost /fatally/ bad. ones with grip and limited fade often chew disks. it's a compromise. and the best guarantee of a workable overall compromise, off the track, in my usage experience, is honda oem.

then you need to look around some more! brembo are great at marketing - but there's nothing especially outstanding that differentiates them mechanically.