2010 Civic: How to use the special screws

Hi;
I have a 2010 Civic LX 4 door.
Under the hood, along the rim of the inside of the car are some plastic plates held down with some plastic screws about the size of a
dime.
The other day someone asked me to lift my hood and we noticed that one was missing. I bought the screw from a Honda parts place.
My trouble is that I don't know how to put it in. The parts dealer said to just push it in, but it will not fit. The "screw" is a plastic shaft with plastic prongs branching out like a sprouting seed. The prongs will not move-in.
Any ideas on how to install this screw?
Thanks in advance for any information.

The inner pin is NOT supposed to be pushed in when you install it. Pull it out (it may only come out /most/ of the way), squeeze the prongs together, stuff them through the hole, then push the inner pin back in again.
That fastener comes with its pin set to the OUT position, and the prongs tight together so they will go through the hole easily. The prongs spread when the pin is pushed IN. That's what holds the fastener in the hole.
--
Tegger