2010 Civic: Security and Spare Keys

Page 2 of 2
Jim Yanik wrote:

And for every "improved" mousetrap, innovative "mice" will figure out a work around...
JT
(Done with the threadmill routine except at the gym)

Maybe so, but there's a difference between making such a thing an optional convenience, or a mandated imposition.
--
Tegger

On 05/05/2010 08:07 AM, Tegger wrote:

talk to warren buffet. he "owns" the car insurance industry and doesn't like to lose money paying out on theft claims. methinks our beloved lawmakers [and their minions] listen to him much more carefully than they do the mere proles that "elect" them.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

of course they do,that's where their next job is coming from....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 05/05/2010 04:31 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

you mean "job"! ain't that the truth.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Tegger wrote:

Hell, my old ancient Civics don't have 'lectric doorlocks or windoze for that matter. I do not miss either...
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

My Mazda Miata is a 1991 model and it also has manual door locks and windows.
That car also has no A/C, no power steering, and no cruise control. It is a pretty basic vehicle except for the turbo, and I also prefer it this way. Even the stereo is long gone, though a new one is in the plans.
pws wrote:

Yep, my current driver, an -82 1500 automatic (Civic) is the same and the stereo went bellyup about a month ago. I have a brand new one but just haven't mustered the courage to figure out the clusterf*ck that the previous owner created with an after market butcher job.
Soon, the car will be painted GM white to minimize the lack of A/C.
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

We have lived in the same town for long enough that I have probably seen you around, especially if you are ever North-Central, and I tend to notice cars from the 80's. What color is your Civic? Just curious.
I need to figure out a few things on a Kenwood stereo that I came into possession of a while back. It is nothing special but it does play CD's and it was free.
pws wrote:

I live in Garfield just about fifteen miles east of downtown. The '82 automatic is in primer and my other '82, a 1300 bare bones Yugo trim level is blue.

That's why it was free! <G>
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Heh-heh, I guess I get what I pay for. It's not that bad, though, it looks OK, pulls in radio stations and plays my bad music CD's, just no USB connections, fancy display screens, satellite radio, etc.
It is kind of old school, I guess, but the stereo in my Accord plays cassettes only, I am not sure if it is retro or just sad.
My factory Honda stereo should probably be replaced first. That is actually the only thing I am looking to upgrade on this car. :-)
On 5/4/10 8:00 AM, in article hrp5pl$u0h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org,

You are aware that the valet key is also a "chip" key which will start the car? It just doesn't have the remote door opener buttons on it & is cut such that it won't unlock the glove box or trunk.
After all, what use would it be to the valet if it couldn't start the car?
"E. Meyer" wrote

Oh yes, I'm well aware it can start the car as well as open the door. So I keep it on the key ring as my spare, and if I were to even lose (yes, one "o" in "lose," folks) the main key, the valet key can be used to get me home (where I have my spare fancy key).
On 04/28/10 17:06, Seth wrote:

Not a problem if you keep the valet key in the vehicle.
If you only lock the car with the remote you will never be locked out, the remote requires you have the key in your hand.

Excellent point.
Until yesterday I was driving a 20 year old Civic. I have reading the full owners manual on my to-do list. In the meantime you guys have given me some great information. Thanks!

A decent dealer would explain that to you in about the first two minutes of handing over the car. Mine always have.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th.

Keys with a chip can be bought on the internet for less than your dealer charges. Here's one: www.remotesandkeys.com

Okay, just a suggestion. Only use the remote to lock the car. You will NEVER lock yourself out.
Or, as I did for years and years before I bought my 96 Civic EX, use the key to lock the door. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can even lock the door the way you used to do (pull the handle and hit the lock). I know my Fit won't do that.
If you put a key under the fender (number one place to look) and the insurance company finds out about, you will not only not get paid, you'll be dropped and very likely no one else will pick you up, or you'll pay an arm and a leg up the ass and out the mouth.