2010 Civics: What are the dots on the windshield for?

Hi all,

I would like to put a transponder for tolls on my 2010 Honda Civic.

This car has a pattern of black dots on the upper portion of the front windshield behind the rare view mirror.

I Googled for a few minutes, other people have asked, but the people responding were unsure of the purpose of these black dots.

Are they simply to cut down on glare?

Is it non-damaging to the car to mount the transponder on these dots?

Anyone know for sure what the purpose is for these patterns of dots?

Happy Sunday

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I have a 10 CRV with the dots and I believe the only purpose is shading and appearance. I have mounted my transponder directly on them just to the right of the mirror mount and centered top to bottom on the dots. I have never had an issue with EZ-Pass or the car. A nice bonus is you hardly see the thing from the outside.

Reply to
Al

Got dots on my 2013 Accord too, but I'd assumed they had something to do with the collision warning gizmo, never noticed them on the previous 2010 Accord though I guess they were probably there and no gizmo involved.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

The Massachusetts EZPass website says to mount the transponder below any shading. That said, I do not know if it makes any difference. I put mine just to the right of the dots on my 14 Accord, works well, do not want to experiment.

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That's appearing on more and more cars. Our '13 Toyota RAV4 has the same thing.

That's all. It's because the sunvisors don't extend into that area.

Completely harmless. In fact, the windshield is glued in with the urethane adhering to that very same black surface.

Reply to
Tegger

I have the same shading on my 2012 Civic, and had the same question. However, I found that if I place the transponder where - as the driver - I can't see it (behind the mirror), it ends up being just below the shaded dots. So I put it there.

Reply to
Peabody