2010 CR-V tpms warning on dash

Anyone have success fixing this problematic sensor without going to the dealer? I read on some forum last nite how some had to go to the dealer multiple times to fix, change rims, etc... to eliminate the warning on the dash. Lately our weather is colder so I realize that may have triggered my warning on the dash but tires look okay. I don't know what the original pressure was nor what it is now. I may just ignor the warning on the dash since I'm confident about the tires but if I could do some quick fix, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Reply to
Doug

please ensure you actually distinguish between low pressure warning and tpms warning icons.

I suspect you are confusing low pressure with tpms.

Reply to
nick

Nick, sounds like I must be. I didn't know there is a difference so I need to read the MANUAL again. Haven't read it since I got the CR-V so my ignorance must be showing. I'll read it in a couple hours after I bring my wife shopping... she's the boss :( .

If it helps any... my icon on the dash is a tire wall (sideways "C") with an exclamation mark inside it. Sorry for my ignorance.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Specifically which light is on?

The one with a picture of a slice of tire, and an exclamation mark?

Or the one with the letters "TPMS" on it?

Reply to
Tegger

My ignorance.... I checked the manual (pg 66) and it is the " low tire pressure indicator ". Anyone know how sensitive this sensor is supposed to be in pounds??

Reply to
Doug

Sheesh...it's telling you that one or more of your tires is low. Get a pressure gauge and check them and put some air in them. They can look OK but still be too low. I believe the light comes on at about 25 psi. You should probably have about 32 psi in them (check the sticker on the driver side door jamb). You might even have a nail in one of them.

Reply to
MM

Righto! I own a 2011 Fit, bought in March this year. Recently my low pressure warning light came on. Tire pressure in ALL FOUR tires was within +/_ 1 pound of 26 pounds, 6 pounds low. Spare measured 45 pounds,

15 pounds too low. Cheeze, don't they check that when a new car comes in? I'll be calling the dealer this coming week. How can I ever have any confidence in that dealer in the future??
Reply to
Dan Wenz

So what you're saying is that you bought the car in March and:

a) assumed all of your five tires were properly inflated

b) have NEVER checked them since, assuming that once properly inflated they will stay that way regardless

Any confidence issues should be with yourself.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I gotta side with Elmo on this one. Both of you (Dan & Doug)need to step back and consider what's the REAL question and respond accordingly.

Doug made no mention at all of the very first thing that I would do if the light came on and that's to grab a tire gauge and check the pressure of all my tires. If they're low, I inflate them to where they're supposed to be, take the car out and put 4-5 miles on it and see what happens with the sensor light. If it goes out, I've "repaired" the problem (otherwise known as simple, routine maintenance)

Dan apparently hasn't checked his tires since he bought the car and now that the TPMS is lighting up, he's concerned that the dealer may not have done his thing. Hello? SIMPLE, ROUTINE MAINTENANCE. Check the freakin' tires every so often. Yes, they may have been underinflated when you took delivery, then again maybe not. Little Eddie next door could be messing with you, maybe the pressure was intentionally set low to "enhance your ride" and now that cold weather is upon us... well, save the physics lecture for another time.

Threads like this seem to drive home just WHY they are called "idiot lights."

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Anyone have success fixing this problematic sensor without going to the dealer? I read on some forum last nite how some had to go to the dealer multiple times to fix, change rims, etc... to eliminate the warning on the dash. Lately our weather is colder so I realize that may have triggered my warning on the dash but tires look okay. I don't know what the original pressure was nor what it is now. I may just ignor the warning on the dash since I'm confident about the tires but if I could do some quick fix, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Best to invest in a decent tire gauge and one of those electric tire pumps. Check your pressure (typically around 30-32) monthly.

Reply to
tww1491

My 08 Fit displays a low pressure light when a tire/s are 6 PSI low.

Tires will always loose air... rubber molecules are huge (in comparison to air), and don't fit together well. Air goes right through rubber...

24/7. [1]

High pressure, low volume tires loose it the fastest... like those skinny super high pressure bicycle tires; and high volume low pressure tires the slowest.

[1] This also accounts for some percentage of refrigerant loss from vehicle air conditioning systems, even though those hoses are supposedly lined. (Most A/C leaks are through the front compressor seal). Home refrigerators and the like have no flexible lines carrying refrigerant, or seals around external shafts.
Reply to
Erik

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:4ee511bf$0$29436$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

you're absolutely right. Just think; if he's too dumb to check his tire pressures,what sort of maintenance is the rest of his car getting? If any.....

helpful hint; Pep Boys often has on sale a 12V portable air compressor,Master Flow MF-

1040. comes in a nice little carry softcase. I've had one for a couple of years,and it's very handy.Cost around $20 when on sale,$29 regular price. It has a nice dial guage on it,is reasonably quiet,not a buzzbox like a previous cheapo 12V air pump I had from Harbor Freight.

Only beef is that the air hose degraded and split after a couple of years in Florida heat(in my car trunk),and a new one cost as much as the pump did.I made a new one up from the old connectors and a new coil-hose from Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not sure. One Honda document I have says a reading 20% lower than specified can make the light come on. But I do not know if the monitor also responds to /differential/ as well as /absolute/ pressures.

But what I do know is that the tire-pressure monitoring system is very precise and particular about pressures. How, and when, you set your pressures is critical to keeping the light off. Reply to this post if you wish more information.

A lot of people have given up on keeping the light off: They set the pressures the way they've always done them, and ignore the light. If you decide to do this, you will definitely not be alone. And you will definitely not be unsafe.

And by the way, unless the 2010 is different from the 2009, the spare is _NOT_ included in the monitoring system.

Reply to
Tegger

"tww1491" wrote in news:qu8Fq.13069$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.iad:

I wonder what makes him "confident" about his tires if he didn't bother to measure the actual tire pressure? you can be 10 PSI or more low before the tire shows any sign.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks Tegger for answering my question and my next question (spare tire). As others pointed out, I'll put a gage on it. It just happened this weekend while I was driving around town to give it exercise (650 miles). It's basically a garage queen for now so I don't check the tires as often as my daily drivers. Thanks for the direct answers without the BS.

Reply to
Doug

See my previous post which might explain why it caught me by surprise. No argument... I'll put a gage on it first and then put air in one or more tires. I've got a compressor so I admit I have no excuse for low tires.

Reply to
Doug

To be fair, he didn't really answer it; so far, you don't know if the spare is covered by TPMS or not.

Your owner's manual will tell.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Ok, I will re-read the manual and thanks Elmo. I plead ignorance to start but now I'm learning .

Reply to
Doug

Right.... just found it on pg 326... spare tire does NOT have the sensor.

Reply to
Doug

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When properly setting your tires so as to keep the light off, remember this: Each 10 degrees F of temperature change means about 1 psi pressure change. The tires MUST be at ambient temperature when you do the final pressure-setting. This means that you can no longer fill up your tires at the gas station and count on the light staying off the next morning. And especially you can't use the gas station's built-in gauge as a guide to inflation.

So, to keep the light off, and assuming you have no means at home for filling your tires...

Step one: OVERfill your tires at a gas station. If your door-jamb sticker calls for

26, put in 32 or 34.

Step 2: Drive home. Leave the car to sit overnight. In the morning, before you drive the car, and before the sun hits the tires, check the pressures with a decent gauge. Lower them to 26 (or whatever the door sticker says).

**Take note of the ambient temperature during the time you performed this step!**

Why should you take notem of the ambient? Because... If ambient was 40, and it drops to 20, you /lose/ 2 psi. If it was originally 40 and it climbs to 60, you /gain/ 2 psi. If you set the pressures at the height of summer at 90 after a highway run, and you never touch them again, by the time winter comes and the temperature has dropped to 40, you've lost more than 5 psi (perhaps as much as 10 psi), and the light may come on. This means you need to check and adjust at least once each season, adding or bleeding as needed.

Reply to
Tegger