2010 CR-V tpms warning on dash

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have success fixing this problematic sensor without going to the dealer? I read on some forum last nite how some had to go to the dealer multiple times to fix, change rims, etc... to eliminate the
warning on the dash. Lately our weather is colder so I realize that may have triggered my warning on the dash but tires look okay. I don't know what the original pressure was nor what it is now. I may just ignor the warning on the dash since I'm confident about the tires but if I could do some quick fix, I'd be willing to give it a try.

please ensure you actually distinguish between low pressure warning and tpms warning icons.
I suspect you are confusing low pressure with tpms.

Nick, sounds like I must be. I didn't know there is a difference so I need to read the MANUAL again. Haven't read it since I got the CR-V so my ignorance must be showing. I'll read it in a couple hours after I bring my wife shopping... she's the boss :( .
If it helps any... my icon on the dash is a tire wall (sideways "C") with an exclamation mark inside it. Sorry for my ignorance.

Specifically which light is on?
The one with a picture of a slice of tire, and an exclamation mark?
Or the one with the letters "TPMS" on it?
--
Tegger

My ignorance.... I checked the manual (pg 66) and it is the " low tire pressure indicator ". Anyone know how sensitive this sensor is supposed to be in pounds??
On 12/11/11 7:49 AM, Doug wrote:

Sheesh...it's telling you that one or more of your tires is low. Get a pressure gauge and check them and put some air in them. They can look OK but still be too low. I believe the light comes on at about 25 psi. You should probably have about 32 psi in them (check the sticker on the driver side door jamb). You might even have a nail in one of them.
On 12/11/2011 12:43 PM, MM wrote:

Righto! I own a 2011 Fit, bought in March this year. Recently my low pressure warning light came on. Tire pressure in ALL FOUR tires was within +/_ 1 pound of 26 pounds, 6 pounds low. Spare measured 45 pounds, 15 pounds too low. Cheeze, don't they check that when a new car comes in? I'll be calling the dealer this coming week. How can I ever have any confidence in that dealer in the future??

So what you're saying is that you bought the car in March and:
a) assumed all of your five tires were properly inflated
b) have NEVER checked them since, assuming that once properly inflated they will stay that way regardless
Any confidence issues should be with yourself.

My 08 Fit displays a low pressure light when a tire/s are 6 PSI low.
Tires will always loose air... rubber molecules are huge (in comparison to air), and don't fit together well. Air goes right through rubber... 24/7. [1]
High pressure, low volume tires loose it the fastest... like those skinny super high pressure bicycle tires; and high volume low pressure tires the slowest.
[1] This also accounts for some percentage of refrigerant loss from vehicle air conditioning systems, even though those hoses are supposedly lined. (Most A/C leaks are through the front compressor seal). Home refrigerators and the like have no flexible lines carrying refrigerant, or seals around external shafts.
On 12/11/2011 3:52 PM, Erik wrote:

Yup. 1 pound a month is normal, also pressure will drop as weather turns cold in the fall/winter. Always keep a gauge in the car and check at least once a month. I like the newer digital gauges, they are easier to read even if they cost a few bucks more.
I have a Pilot Touring and one of the displays shows the PSI of each tire. Should I not trust this and check it with a tire gauge? I have one anyway.
On 12/13/2011 12:32 PM, Alan Bowler wrote:

get together with some of your friends and compare results from your cheapo chinese digital tire gauges. i think you'll be surprised at the inconsistency.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

just like the cheapo Harbor Freight digital multimeters,the ones that they were giving away with a coupon. the first one I got was way off.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 12/11/2011 12:28 PM, Dan Wenz wrote:

I gotta side with Elmo on this one. Both of you (Dan & Doug)need to step back and consider what's the REAL question and respond accordingly.
Doug made no mention at all of the very first thing that I would do if the light came on and that's to grab a tire gauge and check the pressure of all my tires. If they're low, I inflate them to where they're supposed to be, take the car out and put 4-5 miles on it and see what happens with the sensor light. If it goes out, I've "repaired" the problem (otherwise known as simple, routine maintenance)
Dan apparently hasn't checked his tires since he bought the car and now that the TPMS is lighting up, he's concerned that the dealer may not have done his thing. Hello? SIMPLE, ROUTINE MAINTENANCE. Check the freakin' tires every so often. Yes, they may have been underinflated when you took delivery, then again maybe not. Little Eddie next door could be messing with you, maybe the pressure was intentionally set low to "enhance your ride" and now that cold weather is upon us... well, save the physics lecture for another time.
Threads like this seem to drive home just WHY they are called "idiot lights."

you're absolutely right. Just think; if he's too dumb to check his tire pressures,what sort of maintenance is the rest of his car getting? If any.....

helpful hint; Pep Boys often has on sale a 12V portable air compressor,Master Flow MF- 1040. comes in a nice little carry softcase. I've had one for a couple of years,and it's very handy.Cost around $20 when on sale,$29 regular price. It has a nice dial guage on it,is reasonably quiet,not a buzzbox like a previous cheapo 12V air pump I had from Harbor Freight.
Only beef is that the air hose degraded and split after a couple of years in Florida heat(in my car trunk),and a new one cost as much as the pump did.I made a new one up from the old connectors and a new coil-hose from Harbor Freight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

FWIW my dealer delivered my Accord with all four tires low as well. Must be trying to save money on air, what with the bad economy and all.
J.

The put lower air pressure in the tires to give the customer a softer ride, which I dislike. The low pressure light came on in our 2011 CR-V. I check with a metal gauge, and they all were 30 psi. I checked the tires which stated max psi is 44. So, I brought them up to 38. The light has been off ever since. I prefer a firmer ride; it also helps the tires last longer, even though manufacturers are back to putting crappy OEM brand tires on new cars.

"I don't remember any of that. I've been defragging my hard drive and got
On 12/17/2011 09:47 PM, Green Eggs & NoSpam wrote:

lasting longer used to be true for bias-ply tires much more than it is for modern radials - radials have a range where as long as you are within, you're not going to see any significant difference in wear rates because the circumferential tread bands keep the tread flat on the road regardless.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Not sure. One Honda document I have says a reading 20% lower than specified can make the light come on. But I do not know if the monitor also responds to /differential/ as well as /absolute/ pressures.
But what I do know is that the tire-pressure monitoring system is very precise and particular about pressures. How, and when, you set your pressures is critical to keeping the light off. Reply to this post if you wish more information.
A lot of people have given up on keeping the light off: They set the pressures the way they've always done them, and ignore the light. If you decide to do this, you will definitely not be alone. And you will definitely not be unsafe.
And by the way, unless the 2010 is different from the 2009, the spare is _NOT_ included in the monitoring system.
--
Tegger

Thanks Tegger for answering my question and my next question (spare tire). As others pointed out, I'll put a gage on it. It just happened this weekend while I was driving around town to give it exercise (650 miles). It's basically a garage queen for now so I don't check the tires as often as my daily drivers. Thanks for the direct answers without the BS.