2012 Civic - 7500 mile scheduled maintenance?

Page 2 of 3

I'd amend that a bit: Web-boards are a better source of /unpolluted/ information. Web-boards still have dumb posters, it's just that in a moderated forum, they need to be /politely/ dumb.
I've mostly migrated off Usenet myself, for the very reasons you state.
--
Tegger

hehehehehehe
WHOOSH!
On 02/24/2012 06:59 PM, Tegger wrote:

au contraire - they're just as polluted with ignorance as usenet, if not more so. at least on usenet, you can say if someone's got it wrong. and why. and no idiot moderator who doesn't know what they're talking about can stop you.

from what i've seen, they're /mostly/ dumb posters.

by definition. it's retarded.

to paraphrase franklin, they who will give up essential usenet liberty to obtain a little temporary safety on web boards, deserve neither liberty nor safety...
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

nice. I'm stealing that one.
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tegger wrote:

I hope that you don't migrate from usenet completely Tegger. Your posts are the primary reason that I come to read this group.
--
Shaun.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
--
Tegger

Not at all.
On the other hand, you are clearly afraid of going anywhere that you're not protected from those evil people doling out the facts that you don't want to hear.
"Peabody" wrote in message
I got a letter from the dealer about this. I can see an oil change, and maybe rotate the tires. What else would need to be done?
Anyone had this done, and remember what they did and what they charged?
Follow the Maintenance Minder. On my 06 Accord it came on at around 6800 miles for the first service; on our CRV it was around 7500. On my S2000 --well I am a little more picky and run an oil change sooner (time -- 5-6 months or around 4-k whichever comes first) because I don't put the mileage on it driving to and from work.

Oil doesn't break down sitting there.

No, but it does--rather rapidly--collect lots of water, gas, and acids when used for a large number of short trips.
You can never change your oil too often for the good of the engine, especially as the engine ages.
--
Tegger

True, if that's what you're doing.
But modern oils are ever more tolerant even of that kind of use.

Glad you qualified that! "...for the good of the engine". That is, the engine won't respond negatively to frequent oil changes. No question.
On 02/24/2012 07:02 PM, Tegger wrote:

like weekly? daily? hourly? superstitiously? what "analysis" do you have for that statement tegger?
what a crock of utter and complete recreational oil changer, analysis ignorant bullshit. you've been given all the facts on that topic countless times, but you've "moderated out" any ability to learn the facts.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 2/24/2012 10:34 PM, jim beam wrote:

[snip]
Well, as you rip into Tegger, would you care to clarify just what it is you're saying is based upon ignorant bullshit?
The only thing he said that allows for wiggle room is "collects lots of water, gas and acids" Is that what you're whining about?
I don't think so, since you rant on about "Weekly, daily, hourly" and his point was simply that changing the oil more frequently than recommended would do no harm TO THE THE ENGINE. I defy you to provide us with "facts" that support your apparent claim that frequent oil changes will be the doom of the engine. How can changing out the engine oil - let's just say on a monthly basis with, say, 2,000 miles racked up on the odometer - going to harm your engine unless you forget to replace the drain plug and drive off down the road? It won't, it can't. Them's the facts, Jack

let's do a little logic exercise...
how often do you fuel your car? is it:
a. when the gauge is nearing empty? b. when assessing your next journey against the remaining fuel on the gauge and determining the need to fill before you leave? c. whenever you see any gas station? d. wtf is a "gauge"?
tegger's inane ramblings are a "d". he pays no regard to the countless man-hours and decades of research done by people with multi-billion dollar machine investments at stake, like aerospace, military and the transportation industries, that all "gauge" their oil by analysis. analysis that keeps their investments running with the maximum possible reliability.
tegger ignores all that - even the advice of the vehicle's own manufacturer. instead, he regurgitates what is simply superstitious nonsense - he has /zero/ basis!
as for /your/ inability to filter real fact from faux, inability to not get suckered in by trivia, and inability to do half a moment's worth of logical thinking, well, i'll just wish you good luck with it.
[btw, i have some special garlic i'm selling. only $600 a bulb. it sounds expensive, but i guarantee it's stop elephants breaking into your fridge and eating the butter. seriously, i guarantee it works! $600 is /cheap/ compared to all the money you'll save on broken front doors and smashed butter dishes!]
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 2/25/2012 10:02 AM, jim beam wrote:

Nice exercise. Rather than deflect, why not answer the question? WHAT HARM IS CAUSED TO THE ENGINE by changing the oil sooner (whether daily, weekly, every 200 miles, 800 miles or...) That was what you attacked, that is what I asked you to explain.
If your train of thought is easily interrupted, let's play with YOUR example, above.
Assuming I'm refueling with the proper fuel, what does it matter (to the engine) if I refuel under condition a), b), c) or...?
If you dispute something that Tegger says, go for it. Don't sit there and blabber about him being wrong when he says that "the engine will not be harmed by changing the oil too often" unless you have some evidence of same (and good luck with that).
OTOH, if you want to ridicule him if his habit is changing the oil in his car every five miles, then go for it. I'd agree. That's stupid, but it's not going to hurt his engine - only his pocketbook and the environment.

it's not deflection - it's asking you to exercise some logical analysis. consider it getting out of the woods so you can see the trees.

oil lubricity can actually /increase/ as it begins to carry a particle load. dags on this group to see where this has been debated before.
and if you really want to be anal, you can discuss the contamination introduced each time you take off the filler cap and drain plug and filter. but let's not dwell on that...
but the real point is the gauging. your car is fitted with a fuel gauge, and hopefully you use it rather than stop at every available gas station. modern cars are now fitted with oil usage gauges. all you or tegger have to do is use it. and if your car is not fitted with a "smart gauge" so to speak, then you use the mileage interval gauged by the manufacturer when they did their reliability testing.

you've just swallowed a red herring - hook line and sinker.

red herring. use the gauging provided.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

Oil doesn't break down sitting there.
Indulge me. At age 70, the S2000 brings back memories of an XKE back in the mid 60s, a Sunbeam Tiger, a TR4 -- Corvettes (C3). So, I take a little more care of something that brings back great memories. And, lest you think otherwise, I do run it up to the VTEC but not past the 8000 redline . In other words, I do drive the car. In fact, the S2000 reminds me very much of the CB750 I bought in 1970-- except the S2K handles better.

Oh, I can indulge you.
But it's not the 60s anymore, and engines and their oils are *very* much advanced compared to your XKE days.
As is pointed out elsewhere, at least you can't *damage* your engine by changing the oil too frequently. The only damage you'll do is to your pocketbook and the environment--but that can be said about any hobby.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

Oh, I can indulge you.
But it's not the 60s anymore, and engines and their oils are *very* much advanced compared to your XKE days.
As is pointed out elsewhere, at least you can't *damage* your engine by changing the oil too frequently. The only damage you'll do is to your pocketbook and the environment--but that can be said about any hobby.
And, the XKE took 10 qts of oil which it burned or used at about 250 miles to the qt.

Not to mention there was always a puddle under the radiator...