2014 Accord

Thinking about trading in my 02 EXL for a new one while the 03 still has go od trade-in value and I want to go automatic this time, have been doing a l
ot of city/inner suburb driving and at my age the clutch is becoming a nuis ance.
One feature I really like on my 03 is the window opening when you hold down the door unlock key, very nice after the car has been sitting in the sun. One feature I do not have that I want is heated outside rear mirrors. Her e in New England, that would be useful, had them on a Volvo 850 and that is the sole thing about the car I miss.
Any 14 owners out there with good/bad/indifferent experiences? Can anyone confirm that the window opening feature has been retained? I plan to go lo oking soon, have some ideas of cost from the KBB site. If the dealer offer s are close to the KBB estimates after trade, I plan to get a new one. If they are too far off, then I will keep the 03 a couple more years.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 05:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Dave

The cars have changed a *lot* since 02, the 4-cylinder Accords have the CVT automatic. I'm still trying to get fully accustomed to it, I like it overall but it's different, and frankly I think I still prefer the driveability aspects of my parents' 1963 Buick Turbo-Hydromatic 3-speed better than any automatic Honda has yet put on the road.
The overall handling and ride are much, much improved since 02. Plus you get cameras and collision warnings and just all kinds of electronic toys. I'm not even sure about that window-opening feature, I never used it.
I'm driving a 2013 EXL4, I don't know of any large changes to 2014 - or 2015.
J.

If you keep a car 11 years (and no reason you shouldn't), get the Hybrid. Slick, slick, slick--and it works.
I did a quick check on the Accord Hybrid EXL, learned that its MSRP is not much more than a gas one, but selling price is a lot closer to MSRP, wherea s the gas one is discounted in my area, according to the Kelly Blue Book si te. The cost difference would take about 25,000 miles to recover in gas co st, about 2.5 years for me, exclusive of lost investment income. The hybri d also has a smaller trunk, not sure what my wife would think about having less hauling capacity from a garden center. I could not find on the Honda website any mention if the hybrid has a fold down rear seat, something I us e frequently.
I'll have to test drive a couple, see if I am happy with the CVT.
Thanks for responding.

Go further with that calculation, and see what 8.5 more years will put back in your pocket.
On 5/24/2014 09:16, Dave wrote:

word) at coast or light acceleration up to around 30-35 mph. Minor annoyance, but it is noticeable.
Jim

Yes, it hunts, it's a little unstable, the algorithm needs some work, some hysteresis added. You can fight it somewhat by driving with super-light foot until you need power than asking for a little more - doing your own hysteresis. Or putting it in sport mode, but that runs a lot more RPMs and somewhat less mileage.
I haven't tried the hybrid, reports have it that the driveability is less than the gas models, which might make it irritating. If you do a lot of stop and go I'd try for the hybrid, the 2013 is hard-pressed to maintain 20mpg in city driving even driven carefully, and even though it's happy to get 36++ on the highway driven moderately.
J.