2nd Generation Hond Fit

Page 2 of 2
Tegger wrote:

Sounds like pinion noise. I'd ignore it until the radio can no longer drown it out...
JT

That's encouraging... but how can you tell?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Just a gut feeling based on experience. Don't worry about it until threatens to fail which may never happen..
JT
.

Fair enough. A used tranny will run me about $600, so if I can avoid that, great.
What I don't know is how to tell the difference between worn bearings and a worn diff.
Based on my experiences with worn wheel bearings, I'm guessing a worn bearing in the tranny would be noisy pretty much any time I accelerate in any gear at any speed. The tranny's shafts are quite short, so I'd think any side-load would be transmitted to all the bearings fairly equally.
I once had an '82 Toyota Corolla SR5 that developed two worn 5th gear bearings. In those cases, the bearing was noisy any time I was in that gear. So long as I was out of 5th, the bearing was not under side-load and was quiet. The shafts of that RWD tranny were fairly long, leading me to believe bearing loads were more likely than in my 'Teg to be localized to a single bearing.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

If you're concerned.. You can just be on the look out for a tranny at a better price. Your car's age is probably just beginning to slip out of a JDM replacement which might include an engine since you are approaching that point as well.
You oughta hear the tranny in my '83... I shoulda got suspicious as this car sported a "Duke" sticker on the back glass. That puppy did not receive tender treatment.. The tranny on the '82 OTOH is quiet as a mouse but then again, this car was purchased from the original owner but unfortunately is a "bare bones," (not even a DX), vehicle with four speed.
No one can fault achieving 300K miles as a lousy deal. You got your money's worth plus some. OTOH, sheeple just trade in and keep an active payment book...
<G>
JT

Drop-in JDM is getting extreemely difficult to find for my car; it's too old.

Somebody in rec.autos.tech suggested the diff bearings, which sounds plausible.
I'm just going to live with it and be gentle with my acceleration in order to put as little side-load on the bearings as possible.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Most likely pinion..

Don't lose a lot of sleep over it... They'll probably out last you!
JT
wrx snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'm temporarily driving an 07 Accord sedan - it's a rental car being (mostly) paid for by insurance while my CRX is at the body shop after an SUV failed to pay attention while backing up. The Accord's a nice enough car, and it's quiet and comfortable, but it's bigger than I'd prefer. Our 99 Accord sedan doesn't feel nearly as large, and the blind spots in it aren't nearly as pronounced as in the 07 (I find the A-pillars in particular way too wide for optimum visibility, but I guess that's partially the result of having to house side-curtain airbags, which I'd just as soon not have).
Other nits to pick: I've always hated the radio/climate control console in the 03-07 Accords. I can't understand why Honda did away with the nice-looking, intuitive climate control in the 98-02 Accords, which had automatic temperature control, and replaced it with the current monstrosity.
I really like what I've seen of the Fit (I have yet to drive one). Perhaps it has to do with your observation that it's the latter-day version of an earlier-generation Civic - I'm one of those people who tends to prefer older Hondas over the newer ones.
Dave