2nd Generation Hond Fit

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:aRB3j.172162$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

That's encouraging... but how can you tell?

Reply to
Tegger

On 11/29/2007 10:39 AM Grumpy AuContraire spake these words of knowledge:

Well, it is a wayward cow. Boy.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:474f60a0$0$15327$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Ever notice how when they say, "It's 5:00 somewhere in the world", they never specify AM or PM? :^)

Reply to
Tegger

Just a gut feeling based on experience. Don't worry about it until threatens to fail which may never happen..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:ZMK3j.906 $ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Fair enough. A used tranny will run me about $600, so if I can avoid that, great.

What I don't know is how to tell the difference between worn bearings and a worn diff.

Based on my experiences with worn wheel bearings, I'm guessing a worn bearing in the tranny would be noisy pretty much any time I accelerate in any gear at any speed. The tranny's shafts are quite short, so I'd think any side-load would be transmitted to all the bearings fairly equally.

I once had an '82 Toyota Corolla SR5 that developed two worn 5th gear bearings. In those cases, the bearing was noisy any time I was in that gear. So long as I was out of 5th, the bearing was not under side-load and was quiet. The shafts of that RWD tranny were fairly long, leading me to believe bearing loads were more likely than in my 'Teg to be localized to a single bearing.

Reply to
Tegger

If you're concerned.. You can just be on the look out for a tranny at a better price. Your car's age is probably just beginning to slip out of a JDM replacement which might include an engine since you are approaching that point as well.

You oughta hear the tranny in my '83... I shoulda got suspicious as this car sported a "Duke" sticker on the back glass. That puppy did not receive tender treatment.. The tranny on the '82 OTOH is quiet as a mouse but then again, this car was purchased from the original owner but unfortunately is a "bare bones," (not even a DX), vehicle with four speed.

No one can fault achieving 300K miles as a lousy deal. You got your money's worth plus some. OTOH, sheeple just trade in and keep an active payment book...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:SRW3j.177877$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Drop-in JDM is getting extreemely difficult to find for my car; it's too old.

Somebody in rec.autos.tech suggested the diff bearings, which sounds plausible.

I'm just going to live with it and be gentle with my acceleration in order to put as little side-load on the bearings as possible.

Reply to
Tegger

Most likely pinion..

Don't lose a lot of sleep over it... They'll probably out last you!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire