31mpg for the Element

Page 1 of 3
I have been thinking about getting an Element and will ask owners once in while how they like it.
One guy said he was getting 25mpg on the highway and 21mpg in the city. But
the latest was a guy who had a 2003. He said he was getting 31mpg on the highway and 28 in the city. Seems a little high.
grinder wrote:

--------------------------------------
Hang around any N.G. long enough and you'll see that MANY people haven't figured out that the Gas Station prints the actual VOLUME of fuel right on the reciept. They fill the tank ten times and assume they've used 10 'tankfulls' of fuel. They look in the sales brochure (never the owner's manual) and find out the tank holds (say 16 gal) and they went X miles. They divide it all out and BRAG about their fantastic mileage.
Now you know how they did it. I'm not kidding.
'Curly'
: grinder wrote: : > : > I have been thinking about getting an Element and will ask owners once in : > while how they like it. : > : > One guy said he was getting 25mpg on the highway and 21mpg in the city. But : > the latest was a guy who had a 2003. He said he was getting 31mpg on the : > highway and 28 in the city. Seems a little high. : : : -------------------------------------- : : Hang around any N.G. long enough and you'll see that MANY people haven't : figured out that the Gas Station prints the actual VOLUME of fuel right : on the reciept. They fill the tank ten times and assume they've used 10 : 'tankfulls' of fuel. They look in the sales brochure (never the owner's : manual) and find out the tank holds (say 16 gal) and they went X miles. : They divide it all out and BRAG about their fantastic mileage. : : Now you know how they did it. I'm not kidding. : : 'Curly'
Seems to me it would work the other way. If you assumed you were putting in the full capacity (say, 16 gallons), you'd come up with a lower MPG figure than if you calculated it based on what you actually put in (say, 14 gallons).
Paul

I have a 2005 manual Element AWD, and my combined city/highway mileage is a little over 24 MPG. Not bad for a vehicle that is as aerodynamic as a toaster!
Steve

Answer: Nobody really knows.
Nobody I personally know does actual recording of fill amount and mileage covered, and does this with EVERY fillup for the whole year. Nobody.
And without the data thus generated, EVERYbody is guessing as to their real mileage.
I record for both our cars in a book, in this manner: Date........Odometer.......Dollars.......Amount May14/06....72,128.9mi.....$19.70(Cdn)...5.34 gal and so on for each and every fillup.
EVERY fillup is to completely full, to at least two pump shutoffs.
So, here are some figures for our '99 Tercel (the book I happen to have handy at the moment: Feb 18-May14: 2,691.11 miles, 88.59 gallons = 30.38mpg.
Ah, but it gets interesting! Watch this: Feb18-Mar25: 933 miles, 33.54 gallons = 27.81. Winter is bad for mileage! Mar25-May14: 1,758 miles, 55.05 gallons = 31.93. That warm weather we had!
Now the very last fillup (only one entry): May12-May14: 190.2 miles, 5.34 gallons: 35.58mpg. One fillup is not trustworthy, so this one obviously contains an anomaly of some sort that will get evened out in subsequent fillups.
Now, there's a confounding factor besides temperature and type of driving, and that's octane. Every fillup except the last was with 91 pump octane. From now on, we're using 87. With my '91 Integra, I've discovered that using premium costs me about 2% in mileage. Don't know now whether the Tercel will be the same.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote
> Nobody I personally know does actual recording of fill amount and mileage

We've never met, no. ;-) I never KEPT records, but for the first couple years I divided the miles on the trip odometer (to one decimal place, and always reset after filling up) and divided that figure by the gallons used (per the receipt, to three decimal places). During the first few months it recorded around 26, but since then my '04 4-cyl Accord auto regularly posts 27-28 mpg driving mostly "around town." FWIW, I live in southern Arizona, where it's f****** hot.

I've been doing this for years as well, with a few different cars. It's just been a habbit, although I don't write down the cost of the fill-up. If the person really wanted to be "anal" about it, they would go as far as using the same pump at the same gas station each time!
Mileage dips in the winter here in MD. Different fuel formulation, colder engine which takes longer to warm up so idle can drop, etc.
My '05 Accord manual varies from about 26-29 mpg, depending if it's more city or highway driving. The 2 trips with almost all highway driving was 33-34 mpg. Could have done better but that would have upset the drivers behind me.
-Dave
"Dave L" wrote in message...

I don't keep records, but I like doing math in my head, so I can easily figure out to within less than 1mpg every time I fill the tank. My '02 Accord LX coupe w/ manual averages around 30-32 city/commuting (I typically fill up after the low-fuel light comes on, putting in around 14 gallons at between 400-450 miles), worst is around 26-27mpg in winter commuting, best is 40mpg on extended highway trips - I've done this at least twice while averaging around 68mph for an 850-mile trip (yes, this means I was cruising 70-75mph for most of the trip), with A/C on and the car loaded down pretty good with luggage. Since those figures were seemingly high, I double-checked them with a calculator to be sure. :
I've heard stories in the past of folks getting phenomenol MPG at super-legal speeds with small 4-cyl. cars. I recall an internet posting years ago about a fellow that drove something like 90-100mph across Canada on an extended trip with a Mitsu Eclipse (or maybe it was a Laser) and got well into the 30+mpg (U.S., not Imperial) range.
When I had my truck, I'd take occasional trips into the mountains. MPG would be unusually high for the first tankful or two because the truck would run lean in the thin mountain air - we're talking 23-24mpg with a V8 Dakota...

Wow - that's excellent gas mileage. Sounds like you're doing much better than the ratings for this car. What is it "supposed" to get? One thing I wouldn't do is consistently drive until the fuel light comes on. I understand it has a tendency to kill a fuel pump quicker when run so low. Also allows more water to build up in the tank, which could help promote rust.

Was this person from the states or from Canada? I thought Canada uses kilometers instead of miles.
-Dave

It does. But we *do* have pocket calculators, you know...
But some of us grew up before Metric appeared on the scene, and some of us prefer to work in Imperial regardless of government bumpf. No laws against it, you know. Unlike Britain...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Before Metric appeared on the scene? Oh, you mean when the abacus was still widely used.
-Dave (running) ;-)

You had better duck while you're running, youngster <g>.

Youngster? lol. Funny how people (even at work) think I'm in my early to mid 20s. They're only about a decade off. ;-)

That still makes you a youngster from my viewpoint. {;^)

Yeah, I thought along those lines after I posted. I'm used to people seeing me and then finding out my actual age. Still have friends say I haven't really changed much from high school. Still get carded in a restaurant sometimes if I get a glass of wine or beer with dinner. Not sure to take that as a compliment or insult!
I digress. Now, how did the topic get changed the mpg of an Element to this conversation??? lol

LOL! It happens.

And I'll chase that young whippersnapper to the ends of the earth, once I find my cane that is...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Let me know when you find your cane so I can grab my walker....
"Dave L" wrote in message...

IIRC, the EPA ratings were something like 28/35 city/hwy. In my defense, I'm driving the car mostly in a small town (pop. 14k) and have an easy 8-mile commute to work (have to watch out for deer/turkeys rather than traffic jams). I also tend to keep my revs below 3krpm. I'm not a frugal driver, but there are enough slow people on the road that I try not to get into too big of a hurry - the high gas prices don't seem to be reducing highway traffic at all. Those 850-mile trips are also on pretty level ground (from TX to South Dakota). One thing is for sure, the car will get better mpg driving with the A/C on in 90-degree heat, than it will driving along in 20- to 30-degree temps. One last caveat: I've gotten the higher mpg with Goodyear TripleTreads with a few extra psi over recommended. Seems like the highest I've gotten with the original tires (Bridgestone, IIRC) was only 38 or 39mpg

That's certainly a possibility. OTOH, I drove my '92 Dakota V8 to low-fuel light constantly, always using the cheapest gas I could find, and the engine, injectors and original fuel pump were still running like new when I sold the truck with 167k miles on it. As an aside, with my Accord, there is still 4 gallons left in the 18-gallon tank when the low-fuel light comes on - the most I've ever put in is 15 gallons, and I was getting pretty nervous when I waited that long.

I believe the '05 is rated at 26/34 so it's not too far off. I'm not a frugal driver either but also don't race the engine. As you've shown, the driver does have a big impact on gas mileage.

I've only driven a few times when my gas light came on. It was normally from long trips, mainly highway driving. The Accord does have a good sized tank. My '05 has a 17.1 gallon tank. Most I've ever put in was around 15 too. I know what you mean about getting nervous - driving on the highway with the light glowing.... looking for a gas station!
-Dave