31mpg for the Element

Page 3 of 3

Excellent - Thank you Dave Kelsen and Tegger!
I've still got my mpg tracking for my past cars, except my '89 Prelude Si. Gave that away when I got rid of the car. Now I really wish I kept it. This Accord is the first new car I bought so I've got to fill out the spreadsheet too - except the cost. Never tracked it.
Thanks again, -Dave
I typed 13 years of of a 1990 civic costs into a spreadsheet inlcuding maintenance, repairs, insurance, taxes and ticket fines. I think the total came to about four times the purchase price or about 20 cents a mile over 222K miles. Maintanence and repairs have been less on my 2004 so far. I expect my first non-scheduled maintence to be new front tires for the 3rd winter season. I find buying tires a little early to make a noticeable difference in bad weather driveability and relatively inexpensive.

One can hardly count driver's irresponsibility (ticket fines), as part of the operational costs of a vehicle.

Send it to me.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'm playing with your Excel spreadsheet right now. So far it's fascinating. I've only got 24 entries for 1991 in there so far, and it's already a real eye-opener. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/mileage-teg-test.xls
I'm up to 4,419 miles at the moment. Maximum mileage (so far about 25mpg) was achieved at approx 1,500 miles. It's been very stable from 1,500 to 4,400.
It will be interesting to see what happens as it nears my current 28mpg at 267,000 miles.
Hey people, do you see what can be revealed if you keep detailed records?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I get 16-18 around town (99% of my driving) and 23-25 on the rare long trips. That's on a 2003, with about 14K miles now. I'm a firm but not aggressive driver. Most of my trips are 2.6 miles to work or 7 miles to the location from which my bicycle club rides.
The lousy mileage is one of the few downsides of the vehicle.
Art

I have a 90 4runner. No power but I get 20 in town and 25 on the road. The poor gas milage is one of downsides but then I can't find a vehicle which does everything I want and gets good mileage too.
I just recently returned from a 5 day road in my 2003 Element and I was getting a consistent 28MPG on the long flat highway stretches with the cruise control/AC on, tire pressure about 36psi, doing 58-65mph. That was only on the days I was on the highway 95% of the time. Otherwise, I normally get from from 20 to 24mpg depending on my highway/city mix. These figures are based on the acutual miles driven after a fill divided by the exact gallons used during the fill up. Maybe if I turned off the AC and cruised at 50MPH I "might" gain an extra 1-3MPG, but don't plan on me to experiment doing this. Mike

You probably get better gas mileage with the AC on and the windows closed than the AC off and the windows open.
My '90 4Runner gets 20 mpg in the city and 25 on the highway. Of course that is with a 22R-E 4 cylinder. Very very rugged but only puts out 116hp. Takes about 2 miles to get up to highway speed.