33 mpg 2004 Civic

Page 1 of 2
I had some spare time to add up mileage logs from last year- 15156 miles on 456 gallons. Summer is about 2 miles better, winter 2 miles lower. Less highway driving in winter and 15% ethanol gasoline.
I suspect cold may be a factor too.
rick++ wrote:

The ethanol in the gas would drop your mileage down by about 4.5% or about 1.5 mpg.

Just got back from an 1800 mile road trip in my 07 Accord V6 EX-L sedan. Mostly all interstate driving, got 32.3...not too shabby for a fine-handling car that powerful and comfortable...
"nullity" <0/0> wrote in message

So what is the seceret of your excellent mileage? The car is only rated 18/26 by EPA and Consumer Reports only managed 30 mpg in their highway driving (there highway driving is at relatively slow speeds).
Ed

I can't speak for "nullity", but I my secret is cruise control. My '01 EX-V6 that currently has 197,00 miles on it, in summer driving, consistently gets around 29MPG on my 170 mile round trip commute (mostly highway).
From Fishkill, NY, I-84 west, I-87 south, NJ/RT-17 south, some back roads to NJ/RT-3 east to office in Secaucus, NJ. Reverse to get home.
On I-87 cruise is set to ~72. On I-84 cruise is set to ~62. On NJ/RT-17 just going with traffic. No hard starts or stops, just take it easy. Tires inflated a bit on the highside.
C. E. White wrote:

Hey, don't knock it! My 07 EX-L V6 6MT averaged 33 MPG on 6 trips from Louisiana to Florida between February 07 and May 07, which was a tad bit above sticker. Of course in October 07 it was declared a total loss and I wasn't about to pay sticker price and wait 3 months to take delivery of a 2008 EX-L V6 6MT coupe. Don't get me wrong, Honda makes a great car, but I NEVER pay sticker price for a vehicle.

2 PSI high on cold tire inflation, gentle starts, steady foot on throttle with cruise control when possible, anticipate slow downs so avoid needless braking, no extra junk in trunk...plus clean living and never raise my voice towards my wife....
nullity wrote:

I try to keep my weight down, too. That increase fuel efficiency because the car does not have to do as much work.
Jeff

Keeping your weight down is always a good idea. I tend to leave my wife at home whenever possible. ;-)
Just Me wrote:

That's an even better idea.
Jeff
Hmmm...excess baggage..lol

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:12:54 -0800 (PST), "rick++"

My Civic is now 5 years old and since new is averaging 37 mpg (45mpg UK gallon). This local (rural not urban) and motorway use.
Most important factors, light foot, keep speed to posted limits (70 mph motorway). At 1.03/litre (US$7.7/gallon) economy is paramount!
I found my original del sol window sticker it says 40mpg hwy but I've never logged it officially. I also removed the spare tired never been used and the jack to save a few pounds for extra mileage gains.I was considering getting a 350z but gas prices are high. I'll stick with my 93 civic del sol for now only 60k orig miles, this car still turns heads. Could be because I drive naked with a sign on my head that says stare at me. But I really think its my OEM wing.Yeah baby I don't get it either just go with it.
Private Private wrote:

Gee, that's just stupid. You will eventually get a flat. They you are going to SOL.

Unless they're laughing, I don't think so.

I'll be del SOL ..hah ,anyways,You could be right,but since the spare hasn't been used or needed since 1993 (that's 15 years btw),it's flat and worthless right now so I said what the hell I'll remove it along with the jack. When I get new rims/tires I'm gonna use the stock full size as a spare, but for now if I get a flat,it'll be cell phone or fix a flat for the remedy. Hey....why is that group of drivers laughing at me?
The only time I ever got a flat was on both right side tires, the one spare would've been useless. Cell phone to the rescue.
Private Private wrote:

If you have a flat spare, you can add air to it (tow trucks often have a tank of air) or a compressor.
If you have a spare in your home, you can't use it.
A cell phone doesn't do much good. Sure, you could try to stick the antenna in the hole, but it won't do much good. And if the tire has a tear, the people who come to help you will have to put a new tire on the rim before you can use the car.
Fix a flat may not work either.

Do whatever you want.

Air compressors are everywhere and easy to find that's not an issue. What is an issue is my spare tire is (15) years old I'm not trusting a 15 yr old spare with my life @40-50+ mph. I'll get the spare replaced with a new one first before I refill the old one. But since I've never used or needed the spare in the last 15 years, yes I did say 15 years, you got that memorized,15 years, thank you, anyways I'll just use my full size alloy stock rim/tire when I get new replacement rim/tire set this year as a spare. And yes fix a flat is hit or miss , it didn't work when I got the double flat tires on the right side. I was going to use fix a flat on one tire and use the spare tire for the other but fix a flat didn't work . So I called my friend ,he picked me up I got new tires and went about my way.What saved me here in this instance? Cell phone, bingo.
In the summer I get 40 mpg highway. I just did a long road trip last weekend at an average temperature of -17C (0F) and got 37 mpg. 15% ethanol.
rick++ wrote:

How much ethanol in the summer? The ethanol should have dropped the mileage down 4.5% or 2 mpg. Engines don't run as efficiently in the winter, in part because they take longer to warm up. Of course, the air conditioner usually isn't running nor is the sun roof down. And the gas is denser in the winter, because liquids contract in the cold.
Jeff

Gas is denser in winter and this contributes to fuel economy? I judge you missed out on 'science 101'.