5-20 oil on 98 Accord-I4?

Page 2 of 2
=============================================================================TOPIC: 5-20 oil on 98 Accord-I4? http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda/browse_thread/thread/faa2cc3970410acd

5W-20 oil is not "more advanced" than 10W-30, it's just a different viscosity.

Stick with the viscosity specified for your car. It is safer to err at a higher viscosity.

There are idiots, but it's not Ford's engineers who don't know what they are talking. And, they "cut corners/save money" doesn't make sense if they "went to considerable trouble to publish ..."
=============================================================================TOPIC: 5-20 oil on 98 Accord-I4? http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda/browse_thread/thread/faa2cc3970410acd =============================================================================

5W-20 oil is not "more advanced" than 10W-30, it's just a different viscosity.

Stick with the viscosity specified for your car. It is safer to err at a higher viscosity.

There are idiots, but it's not them who don't know what they are talking. And, "[they] cut corners/save money" doesn't make sense if "[they] went to considerable trouble to publish ...]"
karl wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda/browse_thread/thread/faa2cc3970410acd
so, do you know much about cars? do you know about 3 vs. 5 bearing crankshafts? do you know about cast cranks vs. forged? do you know about high silica brake pads? transmission clutch pack quality? how about tolerances? suv rollover? solid rear axles straight out of the 20's? leaf springs? red rear turn signals to save 2 bulbs and a few yards of wire? dude, no kidding, there's not a single nut, bolt, strand of wire, or even paint particle on a ford that is not the cheapest they think they can get away with. not one single thing.
jim beam wrote:

It's called "meeting the minimum specification".......
L Alpert wrote:

which begs the question, if ford quality is 30% of toyota quality, why isn't ford price 30% of toyota price? [rhetorical]

No, jim, I do not know much about cars. Why do you ask? Your question has no bearing on the issue at hand. The issue is substituting 5W-20 for 10W-30. Do you have anything useful to add? And, jim, I do keep my mouth shut on matters I do not understand. How about you?
karl wrote:

so why are you defending ford, contrary to any reason for anyone that's examined their design, production technology and quality?

>>>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.honda/browse_thread/thread/faa2cc3970410acd
snip
snip
Here we go again. When you have nothing useful to say about the sugject at hand you talk about something else. You do this frequently. Jim, you don't have to post; relax.
Ford did the right thing, they published, according to John, which of their older models can savely be switched to 5W-20. But you call them idiots.
karl wrote:

ford also published that it's ok to leave the brake fluid for the life of the vehicle. is that ok just because ford say so? nhtsa don't seem to think so.
the point is karl, since you seem to be /so/ interested, that ford quality is poor. the slightest problem with a 5w-20 oil in a poor, low tolerance, minimal material quality ford motor /will/ result in a shortened engine lifespan. and ford say that's "ok", using the same [economic] rationale that justifies not changing the brake fluid, i.e., it's out of warranty and the consumer pays. if that's ok with you, good luck to you.
John Horner wrote:

You bring up an interesting point regarding the use of "lighter" engine oils as relates to mileage goals.
The question in my mind is, "Are the current materials used in engine internal parts such as pistons, valves, crankshafts, engine blocks, camshafts etc. substantially the same as say an early 1980's Honda?"
JT
My 2001 owners manual says "5W-20 oil is formulated for year-round protection of your Honda, to improve cold weather starting, and to help your engine use less fuel". Is Honda only concerned about cold weather? What about extreme hot weather? Does a 5W-20, 5W-30 or 5W-40 not have the same cold weather protection? I would prefer hot weather protection also. I think the main reason for recommending this oil is as stated to "use LESS FUEL". Any comments?