5-speed manual on 99 Accord

I have a 99 Accord 4-cylinder with a 5-speed transmission and clutch that have performed flawlessly for 192,000 miles. Neither has ever been serviced (beyond checking clutch fluid level) or maintained in any way. Now it appears some problems are arising and I know I'll need to talk to a pro mechanic about this. However, I would appreciate any comments from the group before I go to the shop, to be sure I know what I'm getting into.

Problems: In recent months, the engine has become a lot louder, especially when accelerating through third gear and above. A few weeks ago, I had to slow down (I downshifted fropm fourth to third) then speed up again, all while climbing a gentle hill. In third gear, the engine raced toward 4K rpm or higher, seemingly with no additional power going to the wheels. I have now started to notice this effect to a lesser degree on other hills and it seems manageable if I just back off on the accelerator. Also, a few days ago, I was going around a corner (in third gear, I believe) and I heard a distinct grinding noise coming from the same area as the increased driving noise comes from.

In terms of hours and parts, what kind of repair estimates can I expect to get based on this set of symptoms? Anything specific to be on the lookout for, or to avoid? Once again, thanks to the greatest newsgroup on Usenet and the most helpful Honda people. This group is a real gem.

Reply to
John Smith

It sounds like you need a new clutch. Probably around $500 to $1000. You need to take it in as soon as possible, because soon the car won't be drivable at all.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff4/15/08 19:18IIaNj.15980$vz2.2635@trndny05

I concur. The clutch is slipping but 192 K is a good life for it. The job should be closer to $500 than a $1000. If not get a quote elsewhere.

If you can get a look at the flywheel when the transmission is out and if there is any dark spots or burn marks (happens when the clutch slips and builds up heat like yours was doing) on it either replace it or at least have it resurfaced if you want your clutch to work like it did from the factory. You should get a new clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing in the deal. Ask what parts get replaced. Insist that those parts be all new, all OEM cause the labor to replace them later is high. You got it out, do it all.

Reply to
delbert brecht