86 Accord - post warm up idle stall

Hi All,

Advance thanks for any suggestions.

My 86 Accord (manual / AC) warms up OK on its own. Once I push on the

throttle and get it out of the warm up process the car simply dies unless I

keep the RPMs up about 1500. A slow shift is a dead engine and as I drive in

a hilly urban area this makes for some complex driving gymnastics.

Have replaced the fuel filters and sprayed some carb cleaner. Don't want to

start replacing things randomly if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any thoughts here.

-RA

Reply to
bg

99% chance you've got a vacuum leak. Listen for a hissing, whistling or

sucking sound (other than from the carb venturi). If you can't track it

that way, try starting around the carb, where the vacuum lines take off,

and gently pinch off each one to see if it affects the running. If you

find one that does, follow it outward until you find the leak. If it

splits out, repeat the pinching process on each branch.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote in

Especially check vacuum lines 8 and 33... those are the usual suspects

when my '89 LX starts to exhibit those symptoms.

Good luck, Richard

Reply to
RWD

I had something similar several years ago on my 86 accord. There is an idle

shutoff solenoid on the carburetor that is intended to keep the engine from

dieseling. If it fails it will result in the engine failing to run at idle

speed after warming up. It's number 30 in the diagram at the link below.

You can verify if it is working by checking for a clicking sound when

connecting to 12V source.

JP

Reply to
JP