86 prelude 2.0SI A/C gone

Just bought an old 86 prelude 2.0SI for next to nothing. The reason it was next to nothing was that this is Southern Louisiana and the A/C is gone. The compressor is still there but I just got off the horn with
the mechanic and he says that when old honda a/c's went bad they fouled up the whole system. He says a new compressor will only fail again as it'll get gunked up with the crap from the first failed compressor. He also says Honda used to put out a kit to do the repairs but that all-told it was going to be around 2K to fix. That's 4 times what I PAID for the car and so I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any other cheaper options.
Other than no a/c it's a lovely car and I like the hell out of it.
Thanks, Bill

Well - you can: 1. Open the windows, and sunroof if you have one or 2. Move way north where it's cooler.
Seriously - I had an '89 Si I picked up used and the a/c was always flaky. It eventually died. Places I took it too wanted lots of $$$ to fix, althought it was not has high as 2k. It was a great car, and fun.
Don't think you'll really find a cheap way to fix it, unless you know a friend or can do it yourself. Also used R12 back then which is more $$. If you fix it, may as well look into converting it to R134. Of course you can try other shops to get different estimates and opinions and see what they say.
Good luck, -Dave